Experienced in almost every way. Standing at the hospital sink in sunglasses while catching her own baby between her legs. In the backseat of a car. On Dr. Seuss’ birthday.
Stories of beauty, heartbreak, healing and grace mixed with phrases like “I told my midwife I was about to blow my butt out” and “the most obnoxious guttural cow noises.” Hey, it’s birth! Actually, it’s The Birth Next Door, an anthology of twenty-eight births in and around Tarrant County, Texas.
Not sure you’ll like any book with a boring word like anthology in it? Me either, but these stories that had me struggling through tears as I pushed Micah in our backyard swing. My kids now think I’m a little crazy, but those were GOOD tears! Vivid and captivating, honest and vulnerable, these stories rarely end quite like you’d expect.
Like this one from Stephanie M:
High risk. Whatever. This was laughable to me. I felt fine. Though she was measuring very big, my baby was healthy and I felt great throughout my entire pregnancy.
But now I was in a doctor’s office nearly 3 times a week being treated like a terminal cancer patient . . .
Stephanie M, Planned Hospital Birth (emphasis mine)
Wondering how that turned out?? What about this one from Maggie G:
“No, don’t push, just wait until C gets here.”
Yeah right, I said no, I really have to push . . . Todd ran to get the phone and called C.
He came back in and told her I was pushing. He asked if I could get back in the tub. Uhh, no, I need to push here and now. He was concerned that we wouldn’t coordinate catching the baby and she would land on the ceramic tile. I pushed once and I heard Todd say that she was crowning, then I heard the phone hit the floor.” (emphasis mine)
I could go on (really, Micah’s story is in there!), but I’ll bet you just want to know how to win a copy and finish these stories for yourself. Good news, it’s really simple!
I have TWO copies to give away. Here’s how to enter: (This Giveaway Is Now Closed)
- Tell us: What do you think is the #1 thing we should tell our daughters about birth?? (1 entry)
- What is the #1 thing you wish you had known about birth before becoming a mother? If this does not apply, tell us something else!
- “Like” The Birth Next Door on Facebook (1 entry)
- Post This Contest On Facebook (1 entry) – Copy this link, http://www.mommypotamus.com/birth-next-door-giveaway and paste it in your Facebook status. Then leave a comment here that says, “I Facebooked it.”
- You need to leave a comment in order to have an entry
- You need to leave a separate comment for each entry
- You need to fulfill the rules of each entry for each entry to count.
- Entries will be accepted until 8:59 PM Thursday, May 26 Central Standard Time
- Winner will be selected at random.org
- I will contact the winner via the email address provided with their comment
- Giveaway is open to readers in the United States only
» Birth » Book Review: The Birth Next Door