Daddypotamus: “This cannot be healthy.”
Katiepotamus: “It is helfee, Daddy!”
Daddypotamus: “It tastes too good.”
Munch, munch, munch.
Now, I take exception to the idea that junk food tastes better than real, nutrient dense food. But the fact of the matter is that my husband’s palate was trained on McDonald’s and he may never fully recover from that. That’s why I considered it a near-miracle when both he and Katie devoured a raw broccoli dish delivered by Whittney of You, Me & Two Sweet Beebs right after Micah was born. It’s too good to keep a secret, so whip up a batch and enjoy!
Whittney’s Broccoli Grape Slaw
- 3 stalks of broccoli, broken into small florets
- 1 cup red seedless grapes
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup crisp nitrate-free bacon, crumbled into pieced — pastured if possible (where to buy bacon)
- 1 cup mayonnaise – We love our homemade recipe. The trick to getting it thick is to pour the oil in super slow.
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, raw if possible. If you’re on GAPS substitute cheddar, it’s delicious! (where to buy cheese)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (where to buy honey)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Mix mayonnaise, mozzarella, honey and vinegar in a medium bowl
- Place broccoli, grapes and onion in a large bowl.
- Pour in dressing and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle bacon and sunflower seeds over the top and serve.