The thing about birth stories is that they are a lot like the babies they come with. No matter how many there are I never get tired of them. Each little face draws me in . . . just as each story does.
I read your stories. Every single one you send me. I know which one of you:
- Broke your breast pump while trying to induce labor
- Birthed your son despite his asynclintic position and your daughter while talking on the phone with your midwife.
- Posted not one, two or five, but EIGHT birth videos for baby #1 and then pushed #2 out sideways
- Woke up in full transition as the first sign you were in labor
- Timed contractions while watching Knocked Up with baby#1 and then Facebooked during labor with #2.
- Basically asked your midwife for weed to ease the pain
- Wrote about trading roles with your clients when you went from doula/midwifery student to first-time mom
- Delivered a breech baby at home the first time around and then started really showing off with number two.
- Successfully had a VBAC and then gave birth to #3 on Thanksgiving Day while I stood by with my camera
- Walked into the L&D ward barefoot and pregnant
- Birthed a TEN AND A HALF POUND baby at home in water . . . first-time mom, too!
- Included a photo of your placenta in your birth story
On your mark, get set, WRITE!!!
Call me a birth junkie, but I love these stories. After I posted Micah’ birth story, many of you contacted me to share your experiences and offered to help me process through mine. Whether it was a planned induction, hospital birth or water birth it seems we ALL need to talk about it. One of you wrote:
I’m so glad I didn’t bore you to tears with my novel! I think I still feel the NEED to tell my story because I so badly wanted a natural birth and didn’t get it. I keep re-living the experience, like I have to remind myself that it [the lifesaving c-section] REALLY WAS necessary
So let’s talk! Next month (July 14th) I’ll be hosting a Birth Story Bash where you can link up your birth story or photos with the Mommypotamus community. Birth photogs please also link up your slideshows! It’s going to be a great opportunity to get to know each other better and learn more about the multi-faceted birth experience. If you have a story to tell but haven’t written it yet GET STARTED!!! To participate just post your story on your blog and visit next week to post the link here. If you don’t have a blog email me and we’ll work out a way to get your story published.
I hope this goes without saying, but graphic descriptions, photos and video are WELCOME! This is BIRTH! Are you excited yet???
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.