Fresh Cilantro Leaves & A Hint Of Lime . .
Meld with the subtle heat of poblano and jalapeno peppers in this belly warming rendition of traditional tortilla soup. Don’t be afraid to get creative with the toppings!
Oh, and if you need an easy side dish to go with it, this Easy Spanish Rice will do just fine.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken stock (how to make chicken stock)
- 18 oz whole peeled tomatoes (this is the brand I buy, you can often find it at your local health food store)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (this brand comes in glass jars)
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (or more if you like spicier foods)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (where to buy organic chili powder)
- 2-3 teaspoons unrefined sea salt – add two then check to see if more is needed (where to buy unrefined sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (where to buy organic whole black peppercorns)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (where to buy organic cumin)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (where to buy organic paprika)
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- 3 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup tightly packed cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or cojito cheese
- tortilla chips, grain-free tortilla chips, or plantain chips
- sour cream
- additional cilantro
- chopped red onion
- chopped green onion
- pico de gallo
Medium sized soup or stock pot
1. In a wide-bottomed pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and sautee until tender.
2. Add garlic, jalapenos, and poblano pepper. Sautee for another minute, then pour in the whole tomatoes. Chop them in to quarters using a spatula.
2. Stir in broth and tomato paste.
3. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and paprika.
4. Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in lime juice, cilantro and shredded chicken.
5. Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with sliced avocado. Serve with cheddar cheese and tortilla chips/grain-free tortilla chips/plaintain chips and lime wedges.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
» Recipes » Chicken Tortilla Soup