I Like Bacon Marshmallows As Much As The Next Person
But sauerkraut cupcakes? Not so much. While creativity in the kitchen is nice, I still prefer healthy twists on tried-and-true favorites: a warm, bubbly peach crisp made without refined sugar, slow-churned coconut lime ice cream, decadent brownies and healthy homemade creamsicles in the spring.
If you feel the same way but are on a grain-free/dairy-free diet, Jenny of Nourished Kitchen has put together a collection of 90+ grain-free recipes that even sourdough families like mine are sure to adore.
Recipes like this these chocolate coconut donuts, which I-kid-you-not taste exactly like slightly less sweet Little Debbie snack cakes without the cream filling. I LOVE cream anything so I melted a little coconut butter in a double boiler with some water and poured it over the top as a glaze . . . yummo! Real whipped cream would have sent these over the top. I would dunk them like some people dunk coffee.
(Hey, no one’s looking, so now is the perfect time to wipe the corner of your mouth. It’s okay, I drooled the first time, too)
Before We Get To The Recipe, Though . . .
Let me tell you a little about this book. The Nourished Kitchen Guide To Grain-Free Baking, Sweets & Treats is everything I wish I’d known when my family went grain-free a few years ago. If you want to learn . . .
- The basics of grain free and dairy free baking
Simple tricks to improve the texture and flavor of your grain-free and dairy-free baked goods
How to prepare 90+ grain- and dairy-free breads, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, ice creams, fruit desserts and more
- How to recreate your family’s favorite desserts with simple grain/dairy substitutions
And how to make great-tasting grain and dairy-free treats for birthdays, parties or snacks on the go, definitely check out these recipes. Okay? Okay. Now about that recipe . . .
Grain-Free Chocolate Donuts
- donut pan
- hand mixer
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a donut pan.
- Whisk almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks, with honey, coconut oil, vanilla and coconut extracts. Then pour them into the dry ingredients, and beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until light and fluffy. Then, fold them into the bat- ter.
- Pour batter into donut pan.
- Bake about 12 minutes. Allow them to cool until comfortable enough to
- handle, then gently remove them from the pan and set them on a cooling rack.
Makes about 6 donuts.
The Nourished Kitchen Guide To Grain-Free Baking, Sweets & Treats is 33% off now through February 28th.