“Is this tested for safety?”
Company X: “Oh yes, we always test for safety!”
Me: “So it won’t cause a rash?”
Me: “How about cancer? Will it cause cancer?”
Company X: “We didn’t test for that.”
Me: “What about reproductive problems? Will it cause those?”
Company X: “We didn’t test for that either.
So, the above conversation didn’t **actually** happen, but it should! Cosmetic companies constantly assure us that they use “rigorous safety testing,” but the Environmental Working Group says “Such ‘safety’ testing as exists looks for reactions, such as skin redness, rashes or stinging, but does not investigate potential long-term problems for either humans or the environment. Yet the chemicals that go into products such as shampoos and hand creams are not trace contaminants. They are the basic ingredients.”¹ (emphasis mine)
Unfortunately, these chemicals don’t simply coat our skins, says clinical laboratory scientist Elizabeth Plourde. In her book, Sunscreen: Biohazard, the former cancer/DNA researcher explains that the toxic additives in sunscreen are detected in the blood withing five minutes of application. Within a few hours it can also be found in the liver, kidneys, spleen, testicles and brain. Info like this begs the question: Are you ready to kick that butylated hydroxytoluene-laden cream to the curb yet? Well then, I have just the thing for you!
Whole Nourishment For Your Skin – A Giveaway!
In case you haven’t been following my “mashed potato” experiment, I’ve recently fallen head-over-heels with lard and tallow for skincare. Both contain fat soluble vitamins A, D, K, lipids similar to what our skin makes, and ingredients that can be easily pronounced!
There is this one thing, though: I don’t actually want to smell like mashed potatoes. Fortunately, the guys over at Vintage Traditions have put together an ultra pure blend of grass-fed tallow, extra-virgin olive oil (not the fake stuff, either!), and aromatic essential oils that I love – and I get to give some away today!
Want To Win Some Body Balm From Vintage Traditions?
Great! I have not one, but THREE sets worth $39 each to give away. Each package includes a jar of:
- Mild manly scent – My fave! Though it’s definitely appropriate for men, I think it’s more of a clean scent than an “manly” one. Daddypotamus and I fought over the jar when it arrived.
- Pretty girly scent – A floral blend of lavender, elemi, palmarosa, geranium, and celery seed. Not quite my cup of tea, but I love the way it feels on my skin and will definitely be polishing off the jar!
- Almost unscented – A very mild scent which disappears quickly.
Here’s How To Enter
- Click the link below.
- Sign up for their newsletter on their site (Don’t worry, they’re not spammy )
- Click to enter in the Rafflecopter widget below
UPDATE: This Giveaway is Now Closed
a Rafflecopter giveaway
1. Sign up for my email newsletter using the form below, then submit your entry via Rafflecopter (5 extra entries)
2. Subscribe to my blog rss feed via email (3 extra entries)
3. “Like” Mommypotamus on Facebook (1 extra entry – if you already like Mommypotamus that counts, too!)
4. Connect with me on Pinterest and pin a favorite post. Leave a comment telling me what you pinned. (1 extra entry)
This giveaway is open to US residents only. The contest ends August 2nd at midnight and the winner will be posted here on August 3rd. No purchase necessary.
Good luck, ya’ll!!!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
» Favorite Things/Giveaways » Giveway!!! Vintage Traditions Body Balm ($116...