Hypocrite or Liar? That was my dilemma today. A couple of weeks ago I promised to post Gigi’s beloved carrot cake recipe, then my husband (and now our whole family) swore off grains. Seems kind of ironic to share now, but a promise is a promise and there is a sweet little girl turning two that needs this cake. Why, THIS CAKE? Because it tastes like hot baked love: fresh shredded carrots, notes of cinnamon and nutmeg, and it’s made with spelt instead of wheat (which is not GAPS friendly). If you’re starting GAPS with us, please forgive me for tempting you so.
Spiced Carrot Cake
- 1½-1¾ cups brown rice freshly milled in a grain mill or coffee grinder
- 2 ¼ cups sprouted spelt flour (where to buy sprouted flour)
- 2 cups sucanat
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 cup applesauce, preferably homemade (just puree seeded apples in a food processor)
- 4 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 3 tsp cinammon
- 1¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt salt (where to buy sea salt)
- 3 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ tsp cardamom (optional)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup coconut oil, slightly warmed so that it doesn’t clump (where to buy coconut oil
1½ cups chopped walnuts (where to buy nuts)
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 1 ½ cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Lightly oil two 10 inch cake pans or one 13×9 baking pan
- Place rice flour, spelt flour, sucanat, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, cardamom and ginger in a large bowl and mix.
- Add water, eggs, vanilla and almond extracts, coconut oil and applesauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in walnuts, carrots and raisins and mix well
- Pour batter into baking dishe(s)
- Place in oven and bake for 45-55 minutes. If you’re unsure whether it’s done or not, prick the center with toothpick. If it comes out clean it’s done!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened – I’d love to say we made our own, but we didn’t
- ¼ cup butter, preferably grassfed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons raw milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups sucanat, ground in a coffee grinder until the texture of powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer set on low to blend cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla
- Gradually fold in sucanat and continue to blend until smooth
*It only takes a few seconds to create the pretty curly carrots using a saladacco!
**I was too busy visiting at the party to take a pic, so here’s one we enjoyed at a local restaurant that is almost identical
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
» Recipes » Healthy-ish Carrot Cake