The comment function on Mommypotamus is now available!!! If you weren’t able to enter yesterday leave an entry now!
A few Sundays ago Katie and I walked into the toddler room at our church together. “Hi Katie! Want some Fruit Loops?” asked a nursery volunteer.
For one thing, Kellogg Co. (maker of Fruit Loops) recently began using genetically-modified sugar beets in their cereals. Many families have banned Kellogg since most of their cereals target our most vulnerable population . . . children. Few (if any) studies have been performed on the long-term effects of GMO products on humans, but the organ damage in rats is pretty disturbing if it’s any indication of what we’re doing to ourselves. Sorry, didn’t mean to get sidetracked.
If you’re in this situation, what do you do? Honor your husbands wishes that she not be given sugary snacks and look like a weirdo handing her kelp? I mean, my daughter likes kelp, but could I make it any more difficult for “regular” people to identify with me at that exact moment? Probably not.
It is not my desire to isolate myself or my family based on what we eat. When she gets older Katie will be allowed to make compromises just like we do. But at this point, while her palate is forming, we are pretty strict.
Which is why I am so excited about today’s giveaway! Funky Monkey is a newish company that makes raw, GMO free, 70% organic freeze-dried fruit snacks with no preservatives, added coloring or flavoring.
When I first heard about Funky Monkey I thought, “Why buy freeze dried fruit? She likes regular fruit just fine.” Well, I’ll tell you:
- They are really yummy! Unlike other dried or freeze-dried fruits, Funky Monkey snacks are crunchy rather than chewy. Katie loves their unique texture and, to my surprise, so do I. The Pink Pineapple (organic pineapple and guava) was our favorite. Absolutely delicious!
- They can make sticky situations go more smoothly. If someone offers your child something you don’t want them to eat just pull out a bag of these. The bright, fun packaging doesn’t look like health food, so you can help your child make good food choices without alienating others.
- Fruit Rots. I actually consider this a good thing (the 12 year-old McDonald’s burger that still looks good as new terrifies me). But sometimes, especially in Texas, it’s nice to have fruit around that won’t sweat in your purse in the heat of the day. Yes I carry fruit in my purse.
- Funky Monkey Snacks are GREAT motivators. I hate to use the word “bribe” here, but we have had more success motivating Katie to use her potty and eat her vegetables if we ask while holding a bag of “Funky Wunky,” as she calls it.
- They will firm your toosh and give you rock hard abs. Okay, maybe not, but wouldn’t it be nice!
If you want to check them out, Funky Monkey snacks are available at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Super Target, Kroger and Safeway. At $1.59 – $1.99 per 1 oz package they’re very affordable, too.
For a chance to win a free case of Funky Monkey Snacks leave a comment below.
Don’t be shy! Here are some ways to earn extra entries:
- Tweet this contest. You can do this 1 time a day for 1 daily entry through 05.12.2010
- Post this contest on Facebook for 1 entry
- Subscribe to Mommypotamus for 1 entry
- Blog about this giveaway with a link back here for 5 entries. Send me the link in 5 separate comments.
- Follow Mommypotamus on Twitter: @mommypotamus for 1 entry.
*Each entry needs it’s own comment. Unfortunately I can not accept combined entries as more than one entry. For example, sending in one entry that says you blogged and tweeted about this post will only count as 1 entry.
*Make sure you receive all your entries by doing the following:
-Comment once for each entry point. That means you will comment 5 times for 5 entries when you blog about this post AND comment 1 time for the tweet AND comment 1 time for the Facebook post.
The contest is now closed. Thank you for participating!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
» Recipes » Healthy Snack GIVEAWAY!!!