I Switched Toothpaste Over . . . . Avocados
At $3 a pop, it’s time to get creative with my budget if I’m going to keep my kids reveling in their creamy green goodness. Our homemade deodorant recipe works better than the “natural” stuff and costs pennies on the dollar, so I recently decided to tackle toothpaste (actually, tooth SUDS) and tooth brightener, too!
Why tooth suds, you ask? Good question!!!
By now you probably already know that prior to 1938 fluoride was exclusively sold as rat poison and has since been linked to lowered IQ, weakened bones, thyroid suppression, lowered metabolic function, and Alzheimers. (source) All experts agree that this stuff is not for babies – most of us would go further and say it’s not for anyone! Unfortunately, most commercial toothpaste manufacturers – even many of the “natural” ones – contain fluoride AND sodium lauryl sulfate (a foaming agent).
The sodium lauryl sulfate found in our soaps is exactly the same as you would find in a car wash or even a garage, where it is used to degrease car engines.
In the same way as it dissolves the grease on car engines, sodium lauryl sulfate also dissolves the oils on your skin, which can cause a drying effect. It is also well documented that it denatures skin proteins, which causes not only irritation, but also allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower, sensitive layers of the skin.
Perhaps most worryingly, SLS is also absorbed into the body from skin application. Once it has been absorbed, one of the main effects of sodium lauryl sulfate is to mimic the activity of the hormone Oestrogen. This has many health implications and may be responsible for a variety of health problems from PMS and Menopausal symptoms to dropping male fertility and increasing female cancers such as breast cancer, where oestrogen levels are known to be involved.
Natural Health Information Centre: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (emphasis mine)
I’m sure there are some toothpastes out there that don’t contain toxic ingredients, but actually – toothpaste itself can be a problem!
[T]he use of certain toothpastes (especially those with flouride) could create harmful effects and even promote cavities. Glycerin is added to toothpaste to give it its “pasty” consistency. Supposedly, glycerin requires 27 rinses to remove from the teeth. And this could create a barrier on the teeth that would prevent teeth from getting harder and stronger.
Ramiel Nagel, Cure Tooth Decay
Homemade Tooth Suds Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Dr. Bronner’s Baby Mild
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- 20-40 drops essential oil (cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint, anise, fennel, sweet orange – or whatever you like. Number of drops varies based on the strength of the essential oil)
- 1 -1½ tablespoons raw honey or a few drops stevia extract – for more info on what type of stevia to use check out this article
Note: If you us honey some will settle at the bottom. Just stir a bit with the dropper before using.
- In a bowl, mix water, 1 tablespoon honey and olive oil until well blended.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk thoroughly. Add remaining ½ tablespoon (½ teaspoon) honey if needed.
- Pour mixture into a vial with dropper or soap dispenser (be sure to label it!) and use!
Brightening Tooth Scrub:
This toothpaste recipe was sent in by a reader (thanks Nicole!). I use it about once a week to keep stains from building up.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt, medium or finely ground (salt helps remove stains and also contains minerals your teeth need for strong enamel)
- ½ teaspoon purified water
- 1 drop spearmint/peppermint/cinnamon/anise/fennel/other essential oil (where to buy spearmint and peppermint essential oil)
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix them thoroughly until a smooth, thick paste forms.
- Dip your toothbrush into the paste and use as you would regular toothpaste.
Looking For More Recipes?
My ebook, DIY Organic Beauty Recipes, is a 198 page guide that will show you how ridiculously easy it is to make your own beauty products, like:
- Quick yet luxurious gifts friends and baby showers
- Fabulous shampoos and conditioners
- Tooth whitener
- Body sprays
- Deodorants and more.