So, either we had the friendliest UPS driver ever . . .
Or I made **quite** an impression back in Texas. Now I’m guessing, but I think his uncanny ability to recognize me in checkout lines across the city had something to do with the ten thousand humiliating ways I have answered the door:
- with one eye decked out in mascara and eyeliner and one plain jane at lunchtime
- in the same pair of ratty pajamas two (okay three) days in a row
- doing a happy jig because I’ve finally found my keys (which were, of course, still in the door!)
- having Katie publicly grade my potty skills (because yes, that IS what potty-training toddlers want to talk about!)*
Now you’ve probably guessed by now, but most of these events happened during my first encounter with teething, aka the milestone that turns bright mamas into zombies and happy babies into inconsolable puddles of misery. Though we eventually found relief with these tried-and-true teething remedies, my success with chamomile-based homeopathics like Hylands teething tablets was zilch. Sound familiar? Well then, you probably have a pulsatilla kid!
Pulsatilla is our top remedy for ailments for small children in general, when the child is sweet, clingy, cuddly, needy, demanding of attention and affection, and easily changing from tears to smiles when comforted . . . When this type of child is in pain from teething, they are likely to be whiny, to want mom to hold them, and to burrow their head into mom’s check.”
Does this sound like your little one? Then skip the chamomile and go for the pulsatilla! If on the other hand your little one “is absolutely screaming with pain” then chamomile is probably what you want. According to Dr. Lennihan, the remedy needs to fit the child and not just the discomfort, so children who feel better with pulsatilla usually don’t get results from chamomile and vice versa.
Looking back, Katie was definitely a pulsatilla kid, so it’s no wonder we never got any results with Hylands! (Of course, there are kids that are neither pulsatilla nor chamomila, so if these don’t work you might try one of these. Also, if you’re looking for more natural remedies for teething, check out Teething Talk With Katiepotamus)
Does pulsatilla help with anything else?
Yes! As baby gets older, pulsatilla can often help with separation anxiety or difficulty with new experiences like potty training. “When you give these kids Pulsatilla for teething – or any other condition that calls for it – you’re likely to see ‘positive side effects’ like a three year old who suddenly announces he’s ready to use the potty” or who wants to go to day camp instead of staying home with mom!
It’s simple . . . and very safe, too! According to Begabati, “These remedies have been used safely for 200 years now for millions of people – including babies. The FDA has approved them for babies and small children!” (emphasis mine).
The most important thing is just to make sure your little one doesn’t choke on a remedy pellet. Here’s how to avoid that:
- If you get a kit from Natural Health Supply, the pellets are tiny, like a grain of sand, and you can safely tuck on inside your baby’s mouth.
- If you get a “blue tube” from the health food store or online., the pellets are bigger, the size of a pea, so you’ll need to crush them into a powder and put a bit into your baby’s mouth, or dissolve in a little water.
- You can also dab this water onto your baby’s lips or even onto the temples – the remedy will absorb through the delicate skin – and you may feel more comfortable applying the remedy externally instead of putting something into your baby’s mouth, especially if you’re new to these remedies.”
Did you like this post? Let me know and I’ll post remedies for falls off the high chair, sprains, bites, and more from A Healer In Every Home soon!STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers.
» Natural Remedies » Homeopathy 101: Remedies For Teething, Separation...