Remember When You Were In The Fifth Grade . . .
And it was fun to smash bananas in your hair, rub avocado all over your face and talk your bestie’s dad out of a foamy lager for the perfect shine boosting rinse? I do, and it’s not because of all the explaining I had to do after coming home smelling like a Boston pub!
For most of us, though, the charm of recipes that turn brown after two hours, have to be stored in the fridge and require us to walk around looking like the creature from the black lagoon just isn’t there anymore . . . not to mention that many of them just don’t deliver!
If you’re nodding your head right now, I’d love for you to check out my new ebook, DIY Organic Beauty Recipes. It’s filled with simple recipes for hair, skin and body care that don’t take a lot of time to make, are relatively inexpensive and – best of all – REALLY WORK!
Whether you’re looking for gifts to give away for the holidays (4 luxurious lotion bars for $5? Yes, please!) or a lather-rich shampoo that will leave your hair soft and shiny (made in 3 minutes flat!), there’s something in this book for everyone.
Now, How About A Little Recipe From The Book?
This Mint Chocolate Body Butter is formulated with cacao powder, which diminishes the oily finish associated with many body butters and also serves as a light bronzer. Slather it on during the blah winter months or when shorts season hits for a little sunkissed glow!
- 1/2 cup of organic cocoa butter (where to find cocoa butter)
- 1/2 cup organic mango or shea butter. You can also substitute another 1/2 cup cocoa butter. It will be a smidge less “light” when whipped up, but it is amazing! (where to find organic mango butter, where to find shea butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (find coconut oil here)
- 1/2 cup of jojoba or a mild olive oil. Almond oil can also be used but it will decrease shelf life because it is more vulnerable to oxidation. (Find jojoba oil here)
- 1-2 teaspoons peppermint essential oil, depending on preference (where to find peppermint essential oil)
- 2 tablespoons pure cocoa or cacao powder. If you would prefer a “white chocolate” version that is not a bronzer, substitute arrowroot powder or non-GMO cornstarch. (Where to find cacao powder, where to find arrowroot powder, where to find non-GMO cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoons naturally derived vitamin E, optional (Where to find naturally derived, non-GMO vitamin E)
How To Make Whipped Body Butter:
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and fitting a smaller bowl inside. The inside bowl needs to be able to hold at least 4-5 cups of liquid.
- Using a double boiler or a pot of boiling water with a smaller pot fitted inside, melt cocoa butter and mango butter over a low simmer.
- Add coconut oil and melt until completely liquid.
- Remove cocoa butter/coconut oil mixture from heat.
- Measure 5 teaspoons of cocoa powder into a small bowl and gradually add several tablespoons of jojoba/almond/olive oil. Mix thoroughly and then add to cocoa butter/coconut oil mixture along with remaining jojoba/almond/olive oil.
- Place mixture in chilled bowl (which should still be resting above the ice bowl) and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove mixture from ice bath and whip until stiff peaks form. If after a few minutes it does not seem to be thickening return the bowl to the ice bath and whip there.
- Store in an airtight jar – Amber or cobalt are best but a clear jar is fine if kept out of direct sunlight (which promotes oxidation).
A Few Notes:
This recipe contains no preservatives, but the oils and butters themselves have been selected because they are naturally antimicrobial. Cold-pressed, high quality oils are recommended as lower quality oils can go rancid quickly. Assuming quality oils are used this body butter can be expected to stay fresh at room temp between 3-6 months without the optional Vitamin E. With the Vitamin E it can stay fresh for up to a year. Always use clean hands when scooping out a little whipped decadence!
If this butter is stored in a very warm environment it will melt. No fear, though, just chill and re-whip into decadent body care goodness!
Want To Save Some Money & Win Some Body Butter? (This giveaway is now closed) Right now you can pre-order your copy of DIY Organic Beauty Recipes and save 30% off the cost of the book – this includes 50+ recipes and 5 bonus video tutorials. Also, to celebrate the near completion of this book I’m giving away three jars of body butter made with the very best ingredients. (Entry details are on the book page)
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers.
» DIY Beauty » Mint Chocolate Whipped Body Butter (A...