When In Doubt, Bake
Of all the words to live by, this phrase is one of my favorites. Baking is a lovely way to unwind even if you only have half and hour, and you have something delicious to eat at the end of your “therapy” session.
These buttery pecan cookies are perfect for a quiet tea with littles, a rowdy BBQ, or even skydiving. Okay not that last one, but you could eat one in celebration once you hit the ground.
Honestly though, they’re so easy you don’t need a reason.
About The Ingredients
In her book, Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon Morell explains how soaking nuts/seeds in a saltwater solution reduces the naturally occurring enzyme inhibitors and phytates in nuts and seeds. This is called making “crispy nuts,”and the pecans in this recipe have been prepared according to this method.
However, this technique is not needed for the almond flour because the outer bran – where the phytates are concentrated – has already been removed.
Butter Pecan Cookie Recipe
Makes about 10 cookies
- 1 cup crispy pecans plus 12 whole pecans for top of cookie
- 1 cup almond flour (where to buy almond flour)
- 3 tablespoons pastured butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (where to buy maple syrup)
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt – (where to buy sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (where to buy vanilla extract, how to make your own vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix all ingredients (except 12 whole pecans) in food processor
- Scoop out cookie dough in 1 tablespoon increments and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Press whole pecans into the cookies
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.