Grab a spoon, mamas . . .
If you loved those packets of yellow #5 and sugar from the store growing up, you’re going to adore this probiotic-infused twist. Tart and irresistibly jiggly, lemonade gelatin is rich in collagen – an essential nutrient for lustrous hair, glowing skin and strong nails.
It’s also loaded with amino acids which increase your metabolism and help balance your hormones, contains properties which make it healing for those with digestive disorders, and high quality protein. And of course it’s brimming with probiotics, those little friendlies which shape our food cravings, keep pathogens under control, and even make vitamins for us after we eat them!
Oh, and it’s good for your kids, too.
I sometimes feed it to mine for breakfast. Enjoy!
Probiotic Infused Lemon Jello
- 2 cups of Food Renegade’s fermented lemonade or regular lemonade with added kraut juice. See notes below*
- 3 tablespoons grass-fed gelatin
- lemon extract, optional but highly recommended, the gelatin cuts out a lot of the lemonade’s tartness (how to make lemon extract)
- honey to taste, optional
* A couple of notes on the fermented lemonade: First, I use sauerkraut juice instead of whey as my starter because it’s usually what I have on hand. Second, if you don’t want to wait for it to ferment just make fresh lemonade and add sauerkraut juice. It will have a lower probiotic bacteria concentration, but it will still be delicious and healthy!
- In a small saucepan set over very low heat to preserve as much probiotic goodness as possible, whisk gelatin with 1 cup fermented lemonade until there are no lumps.
- Pour gelatin/lemonade mixture into a medium bowl and whisk together with the remaining cup of fermented lemonade. Taste mixture and add honey and lemon oil if desired.
- Pour into molds and refrigerate until firm.