Pumpkins are the official herald of fall’s arrival, even in Texas where we wear shorts to the pumpkin patch.:) If you love pumpkin pie but don’t want the hassle of making one from scratch, here’s a very easy recipe that is guaranteed to satisfy.
Pumpkin Pie Porridge
- 1 small pie pumpkin
- 1 cup raw cream or coconut milk (where to buy coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup raw milk or coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (where to buy cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (where to buy ground ginger)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves (where to buy ground cloves)
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- 1/4 cup sucanat, ground into a powder using a coffee grinder (where to buy sucanat)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place whole pumpkin in oven and bake until shell is soft (about 1.5 hours)
- When the pumpkin is mushy to the touch, slice it in half and scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff. Set seeds aside if you wish to make crispy pumpkin seeds.
- Using a paring knife or other sharp knife, peel skin off the pumpkin and then chop into pieces
- Place pumpkin pieces into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, adding some of the milk if necessary to thin it out enough to blend.
- When the puree is ready, add the cream, milk, sucanat and spices.
- Blend until smooth. This soup can be served chilled or gently warmed (taking care not to heat too much and thereby kill the valuable enzymes in the raw cream/milk).
- Come back and leave a comment telling me how much you liked it! Steps 1-7 will not work properly without including step 8.