“Fifteen packets of ketchup, please”
An anonymous arm dutifully held the hot greasy bag out the window as I watched from the back seat. That, folks, pretty much sums up mealtime when my dad was in charge growing up. As you can imagine, things look a **little** different around here.
One night – I kid you not – Daddypotamus was teasing me about picking up something from Taco Bell or KFC because I didn’t feel like cooking. Katie’s response? “Dad, STOP! Those aren’t real places!”
Some things never change, though, like how much kids love ketchup. My little potami will eat it on ANYTHING, so I pull it out whenever a dish is moving a little slow on their plate. It’s kind of like a magic trick, you know? Kid doesn’t like dinner? Put some ketchup on the table and POOF it’s gone!
Though I love fermented ketchup, sometimes I need to have a batch ready in a hurry. For those times here’s my quick and wholesome “go to” recipe. Enjoy!
Quick Homemade Ketchup
- 12-14 ounces tomato paste (my favorite tomato paste comes in 7 oz jars)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, or more to taste (Grade B is best – it has more minerals than Grade A)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 scant teaspooon allspice
1. Place all ingredients in a small pot/pan and whisk together.
2. Place on the stove and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced to the consistency you prefer. Store in the fridge.
Shelf life: Many online recipes for homemade ketchup say they last in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. For batches that have a longer shelf life, try fermenting.STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers.
» Recipes » Quick Homemade Ketchup