I LOVE banana PIE!
That’s it. Plain and simple. So I’m making this post ‘plain and simple’. No witty stories or fancy writing. Just this simple, “family favorite” recipe. This RAW banana pudding is egg and dairy free. However, if you can tolerate dairy you might enjoy real whipped cream to top it off instead of the coconut cream recipe below. And for this recipe, I’ve also added a bit of spice (reminiscent of Chai tea).
I usually serve this in small dessert cups or mini tartlets, but no matter how you serve it, this treat is sure to please even your pickiest eaters. Best of all, it’s free of refined sugar, sweetened only with bananas and dates. Enjoy!
RAW Spiced Banana Cream Pie Cups
Serves 2-4 depending on the size of the cups or it will make 6-8 mini tarts
- 1 cup (crispy) pecans
- 2-3 soaked (for 1 hour) dates; pitted and chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 Thai Young Coconut (what the heck is that…and how do I open it?)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1-2 soaked dates
- 1 Tbls ground golden flax seeds (about 1/2 Tbls whole, or you can use chia seeds)
- 2 medium sized ripe bananas (they should be spotted with NO green)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (more if you like)
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon (more if you like)
- pinch of ground nutmeg
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 Thai Young Coconut, sweeten if desired with 1 date, honey or stevia (it really doesn’t need it though)
- OR: You could just use the chilled cream from the top of canned full fat coconut milk, if that kinda thing doesn’t bother you.
For the crust:
- Add the pecans, 2-3 soaked(for at least 1 hour) dates and salt to a high powered blender. Pulse and blend till well combined but not so long that it turns into a ‘butter’
- Loosely press into the bottom of the dessert cups or firmly press into mini tart pans. Chill
For the pudding:
- Soak the date(s) and cashews (separate bowls) in filtered water for about 2 hours.
- Open the Thai Young coconut, drain the water into a cup or bowl, Scoop out all of the soft flesh.
- Put the coconut, cashews and dates in a high powered blender. Puree till very smooth. Stop and stir as needed.
- Add the finely ground flax (I grind mine in a spice/coffee grinder, the finer the better) Blend till well combined.
- Add one banana and the spices to the blender and pulse till the mixture is smooth again. Try not to over blend. I find the more you blend the darker and browner the banana becomes.
- Scoop the mixture into a medium sized bowl. Dice the last banana, then stir it into the pudding. Makes about 1 cup of pudding. Chill
- The pudding will darken a bit on the top when it is chilled. Stir it up a bit before assembling the cups. If you want it cold right away, try freezing the first banana used in the recipe.
For the coconut whipped cream:
- Open the other Thai coconut, drain the water, and scoop the flesh out.
- Blend the flesh till very smooth in a high powered blender (add a bit of the coconut water if needed, but use it sparingly).
- Alternatively, you can chill a can of full fat coconut milk for a few hours, scoop the cream off the top and whip it up.
You can either, assemble the pudding cups by scooping the pudding on top of the chilled nut mixture. Then top the pudding with the coconut cream (or whipped coconut cream from canned full fat coconut milk)
OR… you can fold the coconut cream into the pudding (for a super light pudding) instead of layering it on top of the pudding and serve as is, with or without the crust.
Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg and you are done!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
» Recipes » Spiced Banana Cream Pie Cups