Blue Moons, Green Cheese . . .
Pigs flying and squatty potty’s please! Welcome to this edition of “Things I Love” – a post in which I shamelessly foist photos of my adorable kids on you along with links to posts I wish I’d written myself. Now, in the spirit of this special day . . .
WAIT, you didn’t know it was a special day? Okay, let’s back up.
Once upon a time in mediavel sixteenth-century England there was this guy - ahem – I mean there was this lord who wrote that:
“If they say the moon is blue,
We must believe that it is true.”
Absurd, yes? Well, the idea that the moon could ever turn blue – which was considered about as likely as pigs flying – caught on. Soon people were imagining the moon was doing all kinds of crazy things, like turning into green cheese.
And Then It Happened
A real blue moon, lavender suns and nighttime clouds that glowed like the eyes of a cat. Krakatoa’s eruption redefined impossible as ash blanketed the sky above every continent.
These days, “once in a blue moon” refers to rare events like these and/or the rise of a full moon twice in one month – and today just so happens to be just such a day! Let’s celebrate by sharing the things that delighted, surprised, and made us go “huh!” this month, okay? I’ll go first!
Things That Made Me Smile In August
- Hearing Katie say “Mama, this tastes like it has soy in it” if she doesn’t want to eat something. She has no idea what [unfermented] soy is, but she mama does not approve!
- Singing “squatty potty” to myself as I read up on the health hazards of toilets
- A pear tree, some heavy-duty jiggling, and my two littles scrambling under the branches like they’re Easter egg hunting
- These 6 tips for healthier coffee drinking – for days when I look like this (scroll halfway down the page to see!)
- Standing ankle deep in sable-colored mud, teaching Katie to gather watercress. Remembering when my mama taught me.
- The way Micah tenderly pats my heart and ask for “mulk” while, ummm, insisting on wearing glasses that make him look like the Terminator
Recipes I Can’t Wait To Try
- This healthy jello recipe from Mama Natural, which opens up a brave new world of water kefir jello breakfasts
- Salmon jerky for our camping trip to the mountains (which I have yet to actually plan)
- Kale and white bean soup, because fall is almost here with it’s magical marshmallow roasts, Oktoberfeasts and soup/stews galore. Wahoo!
- This slow-cooker pork shoulder roast recipe, which melds cooca, chili powder, cumin and mustard powders
- Brushing up on my sprouted bread and grain preparation skills, because an einkorn order is coming soon!
Articles That Made Me Go “Huh!”
- PUFA: What Is It And Why Should It Be Avoided
- This story about a girl who ups her fat intake to kick her cupcake habit . . . and accidentally loses 8 pounds.
- These tips for equipping your real food kitchen on a budget – because my crockpot just died and my grain mill spews flour into the air like Mount Vesuvius
- This healthy classroom snack list, because I had no idea there were cupcake laws!
And A Few Other Things . . .
- Like watching Micah inhale a quarter of a stick of butter for lunch (hello Vitamin K2!)
- Hearing myself say “Babe, I’m too busy to wash my hair, put makeup on and change out of my pajamas to go get my license renewed. I’m working on a book about beauty!” Speaking of, have you seen this whipped body butter recipe from Holistic Kid? Must. try. soon!
- This post from Daddypotamus, and the comments that came after (I love you guys!)
- And of course, these moments ♥
What made you smile in August?
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers.
» Things That Make Me Smile » Blue Moon Friday And Other Things...