Sweet & Tangy With A Little Kick . . .
Sure, you’ll find fancier recipes out there: a dash of Worcestershire with a smidge of smoked French salt, subtly flavored by oak barrels once used to age chardonnay. But here’s the thing: I have KIDS. If a cookout is going to happen at all this sauce needs to be made from scratch in ten minutes flat.
I must say, though, that for a super simple recipe this one has just the right amount of smokiness, sweetness, tang and heat. It definitely tastes better on the back porch with a cold glass of mint-infused water, so run that cabbage through the food processor real quick and mix up the slaw outside!
Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 7 oz tomato paste (I like this brand because it comes in glass jars)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (where to buy apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured blackstrap molasses (where to buy organic, unsulphured blackstrap molasses)
- 1/2 cup raw honey (where to buy raw honey)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (where to buy organic onion powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (where to buy organic garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- 1/4 - 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder, or more to taste * (where to buy chipotle chili powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard, or more to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Add ingredients to a saucepan and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until it reaches the thickness you prefer. Add cayenne to taste. If more tang is desired, add a little more mustard.
* The powder can vary widely in terms of heat so I start with a small amount and add the powder in 1/4 teaspoon increments until it reaches the level of desired heat/ flavor
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!