Sweet & Tangy With A Little Kick . . .
Sure, you’ll find fancier recipes out there: a dash of Worcestershire with a smidge of smoked French salt, subtly flavored by oak barrels once used to age chardonnay. But here’s the thing: I have KIDS. If a cookout is going to happen at all this sauce needs to be made from scratch in ten minutes flat.
I must say, though, that for a super simple recipe this one has just the right amount of smokiness, sweetness, tang and heat. It definitely tastes better on the back porch with a cold glass of mint-infused water, so run that cabbage through the food processor real quick and mix up the slaw outside!
Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 7 oz tomato paste I like this brand because it comes in glass jars
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar where to buy apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured blackstrap molasses where to buy organic, unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 cup raw honey where to buy raw honey
- 1 tablespoon onion powder where to buy organic onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder where to buy organic garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt where to buy sea salt
- 1/4 - 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder or more to taste * (where to buy chipotle chili powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard or more to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Add ingredients to a saucepan and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until it reaches the thickness you prefer. Add cayenne to taste. If more tang is desired, add a little more mustard.