The following is a guest post from my friend Katie, who is sharing her delightful recipe for Blueberry & Peach Cobbler – thank you Katie!
Summer is in full swing!
The days are longer, warmer, and brighter. And now you can buy some of the most delicious, fresh fruit from your local farmers market.
Enter: Blueberry and Peach Cobbler, which to me, is a quintessential summer dessert. It is so versatile, travels well, and is great for picnics, potlucks, and family get-togethers. Who knew some fresh fruit and a buttery topping would yield such a light and flavorful dish?
This delicious dessert is rumored to be named “cobbler” because the buttery topping is pieced together atop the fruit, which resembles the cobble stoned streets of yesteryear. I have always loved the look of cobbler, it’s rustic and homey – always inviting you to take another bite.
This cobbler is perfect topped with raw whipped cream, a scoop of fresh homemade vanilla ice cream, or delicious on its own! It can be eaten warm or chilled; honestly, you really cannot go wrong with cobbler. Plus, it is so easy to make. I am able to throw this dish together in a pinch – making it great for when you are short on time.
Without further ado, I present to you…
Blueberry & Peach Cobbler
- For the filling:
- 8 organic peaches (ripe but still firm), sliced
- 1 - 1/4 cup organic fresh blueberries
- juice of half-organic lemon
- lemon zest of half-organic lemon
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon organic nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- ]For the topping
- 1 cup crispy almonds
- 3/4 cup sprouted flour (where to buy it, how to make your own)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (how to make vanilla extract)
- dash of sea salt
- For the filling: in a large glass bowl, mix together the sliced peaches, lemon juice, lemon zest, blueberries, coconut sugar, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss the fruit until all the ingredients are well-distributed and the fruit is coated well.
- Pour the filling mixture into a buttered 1-quart baking dish. Evenly distribute the filling throughout the dish, then dot the top of the filling with the 2 tablespoons of butter cubes.
- For the topping: in a food processor, add the crispy almonds and blend until broken down into small bits (but not too long or it will turn into almond butter). Next add in the flour, butter, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Process until a soft dough forms.
- Using your hands, gently break up the topping dough and piece together all over the blueberry peach filling until well covered.
- In a 350 degree oven, bake for one hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve warm out of the oven with ice cream or chilled with a big dollop of whipped cream!
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!