It transforms butternut squash in to grain-free mini-pizzas, spinach into a dish worth making again and again, and plain old broccoli into hearty, belly warming goodness. I’m talking about cheese, of course.
If you’ve ever encountered an opinionated eater in your home, you know that a little can go a long way in making a dish more enticing. In this recipe, cream and cheese actually serve a dual purpose – increasing the yum factor while also providing a key source of dietary fat. One of broccoli’s primary nutrients, vitamin K1, is best absorbed when consumed with fat, so it’s a win-win. (source)
As a bonus, broccoli is also considered a good source of natural folate, which is extra important for the estimated 50% of the population that has the MTHFR genetic mutation.
This broccoli cheese soup has a higher ratio of broccoli than most – the cheese is more or less a vehicle for getting more broccoli (and bone broth!) into little bellies. It’s super easy and little potami approved – I hope your family loves it as much as we do!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 pounds broccoli florets, fresh or previously frozen and thawed
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 2 cups cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces cheddar, grated
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (where to buy)
- sea salt to taste (where to buy)
- black pepper to taste (where to buy)
- Additional toppings if desired – bacon, cheese, green onions, etc.
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in butter until slightly softened.
- Add in the broth, cream, broccoli and carrot and simmer on low until the veggies are soft – about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and arrowroot flour and remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste and allow to thicken for five minutes. If desired, blend some (or all) of the soup to make it smoother. I grab my immersion blender and give it a whir in the pot. Top with bacon or other garnish if desired and serve.
Courses Soups & Stews
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!