If you ask any group of kids what their favorite ice cream is, cookies and cream is bound to come up at least a few times. Making homemade ice cream, like this cookies and cream ice cream recipe, is one of my family’s favorite pastimes. Ice cream making is a good test in patience and early kitchen skills. It’s a great activity for rainy summer days too!
What is in Cookies and Cream Ice Cream?
Cookies and cream ice cream is a vanilla cream ice cream mixed with chocolate cookie pieces. Conventional cookies and cream ice cream contains high fructose corn syrup, GMO sugar, milk from feedlot cows, and a host of chemicals.
My homemade cookies and cream ice cream, on the other hand, includes only healthy ingredients:
- Raw cream and milk – Raw dairy from happy, healthy cows is rich in brain building fats and has a good nutrients profile. It also has a lot of carbohydrates, so we eat it as a treat (like in ice cream).
- Maple syrup – This sweetener is a great choice when you need something mild in flavor. It contains trace minerals that are important for replenishing those that are lost from the body when it processes sugar (even natural sugar!).
- Gluten free chocolate cookies – You can buy gluten free chocolate cookies at the store but I like to make them for the best quality. We enjoy this chewy chocolate cookie recipe made with almond butter and coconut flour. However, I’d also like to try this flourless chocolate cookie recipe.
Cookies and cream ice cream and other desserts are not everyday recipes, but for an occasional fun treat, this recipe is easy and healthy.
How to Serve Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
If you want to make this cookies and cream ice cream really special, consider some of these ideas:
- Use it to top a piece of pie
- Add it to the middle of a gluten free ice cream sandwich
- Add a scoop to a pile of grain-free pancakes for a special occasion (like a kid’s birthday breakfast)
- Top it with homemade coconut cream, chopped nuts, fruit, or other toppings for a sundae
Of course, this ice cream is amazing on its own too.
Want More? Similar Dessert Recipes to Try
Looking for more healthy dessert recipes for a birthday or other special occasion? Try these:
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies – This recipe can be made in under 30 minutes and tastes amazing. It’s not an everyday recipe but is a great choice for a healthy dessert.
- Chewy Chocolate Cookies – These healthy cookies can be made with a bit of honey or without sweetener at all.
- Vanilla Gluten Free Cake – A healthy cake for special occasions that everyone will love.
- Grain-Free Pecan Pie – This healthy version of pecan pie is even better than the original!
Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Recipe
- Combine the cream, milk, honey/maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer instructions.
- Stir in the slightly crushed cookie pieces by hand.
- Transfer to a freezer container and freeze for at least an hour or until firm.
While these recipes are still treats, the healthy ingredients help us support our bodies (while enjoying a sweet indulgence).
What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream? Have you found (or created) a healthy version?