Please join me in welcoming Mary Voogt of Just Take A Bite as today’s guest blogger on Mommypotamus.com! Mary is a SAHM who struggled for years with digestive problems, eating disorders, anxiety, infertility and OCD. Her journey led her to follow Nourishing Traditions/Weston A. Price with some of her own unique twists. She is a regular contributor for Real Food and Health magazine.
Cookies and cream . . .
Is a classic flavor that can be made from scratch using nutrient-dense foods. Start with a sweet vanilla ice cream, and add homemade chocolate cookies. The end result is an amazing frozen treat.
Dairy free? No problem! Use coconut milk instead of cream. The cookies are already gluten and dairy free.
This also makes a great holiday or birthday dessert. Add a touch of peppermint extract for a unique minty Christmas confection.
The next time you’re in the mood for a delicious ice cream, whip up a batch of gluten free chocolate graham crackers. Use some of them to make cookies and cream ice cream and save the rest for munching. You’ll get two treats and a happy family.
Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups cream (preferably raw) (can be replaced with coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (preferably raw) (can be replaced with coconut milk)
- 2/3 cup sweetener of choice (any combination of cane sugar, honey and/or maple syrup) (where to buy raw honey & maple syrup)
- 1 - 3 egg yolks (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca flour (where to buy tapioca flour)
- 1 Tbsp. ( find vanilla extract here/url] or make your own homemade vanilla extract with this recipe)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- 2/3 cup chocolate cookie pieces
- Combine the cream, milk, sweetener, egg yolks, tapioca flour, vanilla and sea salt in a blender. Blend until well mixed.
- Process in an ice cream mixer according manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container.
- Stir in the cookie pieces.
- Freeze until firm.