Legend has it that Jimmy Curry – a meat importer – became obsessed with traditional criollo Argentine barbecues during his travels, even to the point of creating a special sauce that took off like wildfire in popularity. Long after he’d made his fortune and returned home locals were still eating Jimmy’s curry, or as it came to be known, chimichurri.
Half of that story may not be true – there are reports that it was really Jimmy McCurry from Ireland, or maybe just some guy named James. But you can count on this. If you’re not afraid of a little heat, this sauce will make your tastebuds do the tango over a juicy steak, roast chicken, chorizo, shrimp, baked butternut squash or even your morning eggs.
Chimichurri Recipe (Argentinian Herb Sauce)
- 1 jalapeño (about 1/2 ounce),
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- about 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon tightly packed coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- about 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Set oven on broil and place jalapeño on top rack. Allow to char on one side (about 3 minutes, then turn over and allow to char on the other side)
- Dice the jalapeño (if you prefer a milder sauce de-seed before doing so)
- Warm oil over very low heat
- Add all ingredients to pan and allow to steep for 30 minutes to an hour
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!