Need to keep your curls in check?
Tame flyaway frizz? Well then, it’s time to whip up this quick and easy styling gel.
Unlike commercial gels, which contain weird ingredients like:
Sorbitol, VP/Methacrylamide/Vinyl Imidazole, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Pantolactone, Isopropanolamine, Benzophenone-4, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodpropynyl-Butylcarbamate, Tromethamine, C12-15 Alkyl Benazoate, Hydrolized oat protein, Fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Butylphenyl, and Methylpropional
. . . this one just has three, and that’s if you include the optional ingredient.
DIY Hair Gel Recipe
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon gelatin (where to buy gelatin)
- 1/2 cup very warm purified water
- 3-5 drops essential oil (optional)
A Few Essential Oil Options
- Lime essential oil smells amazing, and is helpful for balancing oily hair. In a more concentrated form it may also lighten hair. (where to buy lime essential oil)
- Peppermint and rosemary essential oils stimulate hair growth and add shine. Great for normal hair. (where to buy peppermint essential oil, where to buy rosemary essential oil)
- Basil, thyme, patchouli, tea tree and lemongrass have astringent properties which are beneficial for oily hair
- Chamomile, lavender, sandalwood and rosemary are helpful for dry hair.
- Clary sage, tea tree, eucalyptus, and patchouli are helpful for dandruff
1. Dissolve the gelatin into warm water, using 1/4 teaspoon for less hold and 1/2 teaspoon for more hold.
2.. Add in essential oils if desired. Store in a covered container in the fridge.
Apply as you would regular hair gel.
Up to two weeks. Best stored in the refrigerator.
Next post: DIY Pomade
FREE Ebook: DIY Body Care Gifts Made Simple
Do you want to write “Made with love” on gorgeous, handcrafted gifts for family and friends, without spending a bunch of time on them because your life is already full?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of DIY Body Care Gifts Made Simple – my step-by-step guide to making gorgeous handcrafted gifts without stressing yourself out – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. I’ll show you how to make vintage labels, luxurious lotion bars, lip balms, sugar scrubs, body sprays and more like a pro. Don’t miss out!