When planning the menu for a family get-together, dips like French onion or this easy paleo tahini dip always make the list. They are easy to prepare and make plain veggies and crackers something special.
What Is Tahini?
Simply put, tahini is a paste made of ground toasted sesame seeds. A good tahini should be light and creamy, similar to a loose nut butter. Its taste is savory and mildly nutty or toasty. (If you’ve ever had tahini or hummus that was acidic or bitter, the tahini was not of good quality.)
Tahini is a healthy food full of the following:
- Healthy fats
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin E
Tahini is used in dips like this one and of course in hummus. It can also be used as a spread on toast or crackers and even in sweet treats because of its smooth texture and fatty content. I’ve even heard of tahini being paired with sweet date pastes. This combination is good in the same way peanut butter and jelly make a good pairing.
History of Tahini
Sesame seed has been around for a long time. It has been cultivated in India since 5000 BC. There is also reference to sesame seed on ancient tablets (called cuneiforms) as early as 3500 BC.
Some tahini purists believe the best sesame seeds come from Ethiopia. These are called Humera seeds. These are thought to be best because of the soil that they’re grown in (nutrient-rich) as well as the roasting and grinding process.
How to Use Paleo Tahini Dip
Tahini dip is very versatile and can be used in many different ways. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Alongside gluten-free falafel
- Scooped (or spread) onto gluten-free and grain-free crackers
- With your favorite homemade cheese chips
- Along with some tasty grain-free flatbread
- Serve with a variety of cut fresh vegetables (like carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, cherry tomatoes, etc.)
Anything you can dip or spread this on is a possibility!
Easy Tahini Dip Recipe
- Whisk all the ingredients together and use as a dip or salad dressing.
Want More? Recipes to Try
If you like this tahini dip recipe you’re sure to enjoy these other recipes for tasty appetizers.
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus – A healthy food that appeals to almost everyone (my kids included!).
- Bacon Chicken Bites – Kids and adults will enjoy this easy recipe spruced up with bacon.
- Shrimp Cucumber Appetizers – If you like shrimp you’ll love this appetizer. It’s easy to make but looks and feels luxurious.
- Sicilian Crab Cake Arancinis – A fun tradition in my family, these crab cakes are a crowd pleaser.
- Deviled Eggs – These are a perfect addition to any party and are full of healthy protein and fats.
- Greek Meatballs – These fragrant and delicious meatballs combine lemon, mint, fennel, and onion flavors. They’re perfect for a party or family get-together.
- Bacon Wrapped Salmon Cakes – Bacon and salmon join forces for this upscale appetizer.
- Smoked Salmon Dip – An easy and delicious dip, this recipe is perfect for a party appetizer or as a snack on its own.
What is your favorite way to use tahini dip? Tell us in the comments below!