If you don’t love radishes . . .
This recipe just might change your mind! Fermenting radishes takes some of the “bite” out of their flavor, replacing it with a slightly garlicky tang. Both of my kids have been known to ask for second and third helpings when this dish makes it to our dinner table, so give it a try!
Fermented Garlicky Radishes
For this recipe you will need: 1½ quart jar with airlock OR a 1½ quart jar with tight fitting lid, a weight to keep the radishes beneath the salt brine - I use a glass weight that came with my airlock jar but a plastic lid that fits inside the mouth of the jar or a stone that has been boiled and allowed to cool will work, too, a kitchen towel
- 3 1/2 cups radishes, sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons unrefined sea salt
- 4 cups filtered water
- Thoroughly wash and dry your jar and lid before getting started.
- Prepare your salt brine by mixing the salt and water together and stirring until dissolved.
- Pack radishes and garlic into your fermenting jar.
- Pour salt brine over the radishes until completely covered, leaving at least one inch of space between the top of the brine and the lid.
- Place a weight inside the mouth of the jar to keep your radishes under the brine. Cover tightly and set up the air lock if you're using one.
- Drape jar with a towel and let radishes sit on your counter for 3-7 days, depending on how sour you like them.* When they've reached the level of sourness you like remove the weight from inside the jar and transfer to the fridge.
* If you're using a jar without an airlock you will need to "burp" your jars periodically, otherwise carbon dioxide levels can build up within your jar and cause it to explode. Check the metal lid every day - if you can't push it down simply unscrew the lit a bit and then immediately tighten it back down. Using an airlock which allows the gases to release eliminates the need to burp your jars.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!