Have you ever tried to make whipped cream
. . . and accidentally made butter instead? Or attempted to create a grain-free version of your favorite bread pudding recipe and made bread soup instead? Oh . . . well . . . I did both of those things this week.
I also typed a “I CAN SEE YOU” into a public webinar I was participating in. I meant to send it as a flirty Skype message to Daddypotamus, who was waiting for me outside a coffee shop, but instead I just creeped out a bunch of parents who wanted to learn about positive parenting techniques. So basically it was a normal week.
Fortunately, Daddypotamus patiently ate his way through several batches of this gluten-free bread pudding until I got it just right. It’s rich, chock full of raisins and cinnamon, and delicious both hot and cold. Though you can serve it with whipped cream or drizzled in vanilla sauce (recipe below), it’s moist enough to enjoy on its own.
Gluten-Free Bread Pudding Recipe
For this recipe you will need: 1.5 - 2 quart covered baking dish or dutch oven (this Lodge Dutch oven would work)
For the coconut flour bread:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (where to buy coconut flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (where to buy salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (how to make grain-free baking powder - it's easy!)
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter, melted (plus more for greasing your pan)
- 3 tablespoons milk or coconut milk
To turn your coconut flour bread into bread pudding, you'll need:
- 2 cups cream, preferably not ultrapasteurized
- 2 tablespoons pastured butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sucanat or coconut sugar, though coconut sugar will be less sweet (where to buy sucanat, where to buy coconut sugar)
- 4 pastured eggs
- 2 rounded teaspoons cinnamon (where to buy cinnamon)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (where to buy nutmeg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (where to buy vanilla extract, how to make make vanilla extract)
- 1 batch coconut flour bread (recipe above), diced
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut flour salt and baking powder.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs, coconut oil/butter and milk together
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the liquid and mix until there are no lumps. Pour mixture into a lightly oiled 8x8 inch baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes. You'll know it's ready when you can insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
To make your coconut flour bread into bread pudding.
For The Bread Pudding
1. Melt coconut oil/butter in a medium-sized pot over low heat. When fully melted, remove from heat and add cream, eggs, sucanat/coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
2. Add coconut flour bread to your baking dish/Dutch oven. Sprinkle raisins over the top and mix them in a little, then pour the liquid in. If needed, dunk your bread cubes until they are fully coated in liquid.
3. Bake at 350F for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes, or until the pudding is set in the middle.
- Place ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding.
Want tips for making REAL food work in REAL life?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of The Busy Mama’s Guide To Getting Dinner On The Table as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. You’ll get my top seven tips for simplifying meal prep, plus updates when I post new healthy recipes, exclusive gifts, coupons (I was able to give away a jar of free coconut oil to anyone who wanted it recently!), and other goodies. Don’t miss out!