Spiced With Cinnamon, Cloves & Ginger . . .
This pumpkin custard is the fall edition of our beloved sweet marrow custard with vanilla bean, a deeply nourishing staple in our home. Rich and subtly sweet, this dish also contains immune boosting marrow, wholesome fats, protein, calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorous, B-Vitamins, Vitamin K and Vitamin A.
If you love pumpkin pie but are looking for something a little different this year, grab a spoon, a cup of chai, and give this recipe a whirl. Gorgeous view of changing leaves swirling in the wind optional but recommended. 🙂
Pumpkin Spice Custard With Marrow Infusion
- 1 small pie pumpkin
- 6 eggs, preferably pastured
- 1/2 cup grass-fed beef bone marrow (about 2 pounds of bones)
- 3/4 cups coconut milk, raw milk, or cream for a decadent texture (raw cream is not readily available in my area, but fortunately the marrow imparts a similar quality)
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey (to taste) (where to buy raw honey)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut -pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds.
- Place pumpkin halves cut side down in a baking dish and add 1/4 inch water. Remove from the oven when you can easily pierce the shell with a fork (about 45 minutes - 1 hour)
- While the pumpkin is baking, bring marrow bones to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. When the marrow is ready, scoop the bones out with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl to drain. After they've cooled a bit use a butter knife to extract the marrow. Place it in a small bowl.
- Spoon marrow - but not the oil that has collected at the bottom of the bowl - in with the eggs, milk/coconut milk, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and honey. Puree until smooth.
- When the pumpkin is cooked through, scoop out the flesh and add it to the egg mixture. Blend until smooth.
- Place mixture in ramekins or a large oven-safe dish and bake at 375. Custard placed in small ramekins should be ready in about 35-45 minutes. Large casserole dishes take about 45-minutes to an hour. Watch carefully and remove when it is set in the center.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
This post is participating at Fight Back Friday
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!