Spiced With Cinnamon, Cloves & Ginger . . .
This pumpkin custard is the fall edition of our beloved sweet marrow custard with vanilla bean, a deeply nourishing staple in our home. Rich and subtly sweet, this dish also contains immune boosting marrow, wholesome fats, protein, calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorous, B-Vitamins, Vitamin K and Vitamin A.
If you love pumpkin pie but are looking for something a little different this year, grab a spoon, a cup of chai, and give this recipe a whirl. Gorgeous view of changing leaves swirling in the wind optional but recommended. 🙂
- 1 small pie pumpkin
- 6 eggs, preferably pastured
- ½ cup grass-fed beef bone marrow (about 2 pounds of bones)
- ¾ cups coconut milk, raw milk, or cream for a decadent texture (raw cream is not readily available in my area, but fortunately the marrow imparts a similar quality)
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- ½ - ¾ cup maple syrup or raw honey (to taste) (where to buy raw honey)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut -pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds.
- Place pumpkin halves cut side down in a baking dish and add ¼ inch water. Remove from the oven when you can easily pierce the shell with a fork (about 45 minutes - 1 hour)
- While the pumpkin is baking, bring marrow bones to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. When the marrow is ready, scoop the bones out with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl to drain. After they've cooled a bit use a butter knife to extract the marrow. Place it in a small bowl.
- Spoon marrow - but not the oil that has collected at the bottom of the bowl - in with the eggs, milk/coconut milk, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and honey. Puree until smooth.
- When the pumpkin is cooked through, scoop out the flesh and add it to the egg mixture. Blend until smooth.
- Place mixture in ramekins or a large oven-safe dish and bake at 375. Custard placed in small ramekins should be ready in about 35-45 minutes. Large casserole dishes take about 45-minutes to an hour. Watch carefully and remove when it is set in the center.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
This post is participating at Fight Back Friday