Making coconut milk from fresh coconut is also very messy. And time consuming. AND mind bendingly difficult when there are no coconuts for sale at the grocery store.
For two months straight.
Katie and I have been a little depressed about that lately, but thanks to a tip from a friend we have discovered a super easy, thick and creamy workaround: We’re going to use coconut flakes!
Oh yes, ridiculously easy and mmmm mmmm good. Can you tell how excited I am about this????
(Note: You can also use this method for making coconut milk from coconut cream/coconut butter. It’s even faster and easier if you have the key ingredient on hand.)
Why Not Just Buy The Canned Stuff?
- It’s not “legal” on the GAPS Diet due to the guar gum most manufacturers add as a thickener.
- All but one brand has BPA in the can. Blech.
- It’s cheaper. Ignore my cost analysis in the video – You can use the shreds TWICE so the cost per cup is approximately one dollar, not two. And you still have shredded coconut left over to bake with!
How to Make Coconut Milk From Shredded Coconut
Note: Since making this video I have begun using a stick blender instead of the kneading method. It makes creamier coconut milk 🙂
If You Prefer Written Instructions, Here They Are!
Yield 1 ½ to 2 cups
- 2 cups coconut flakes (where to buy coconut flakes)
- 2½ cups water
- Place shreds in a medium mixing boil
- Bring water to a near boil, then pour over the shreds and mix. Allow mixture to return to lukewarm/room temp
- Knead using method in the video or place in a blender for 60 seconds.
- Scoop mixture into a mesh bag and squeeze the milk into a medium bowl. Don't waste those shreds! Repeat the process one more time and then use them to make coconut flour.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!