It wasn’t the kind of question I expected to be asking myself while changing diapers, and yet a few months ago it was definitely something I was mulling over. Turns out, they’d just discovered the magic that is the Instant Pot – phew!
Now, I’ve had a pressure cooker for a few years, but I hadn’t developed such a strong relationship with it that I named it or anything. (My slow cooker’s name is Betty, if you’re wondering.)
Anyway, the lid to my pressure cooker just so happened to break when the 7-in-1 Instant Pot was on sale, so I decided to give it a whirl. Oh. My. Goodness. I didn’t realize how much I was babysitting my old pressure cooker until I pressed a few buttons on my Instant Pot and walked away for an hour.
Since then I’ve been been on a mission to figure out more ways to use it. This “roast” chicken is one of my current favorites. It’s so tender, and I can have it on the table with broth already bubbling away (in the Instant Pot, of course) in less time than it used to take me just to roast the chicken. That means there’s more time for Llama Llama Red Pajama and extra snuggles at the end of the day, which is fine by me.
Pssst! September 20-25th only
I don’t usually interrupt myself like this, but if you love natural remedies, DIY beauty stuff and yummy healthy recipes, you’ll want to check out the Ultimate Healthy Bundle. If it looks like something you’d love, you can order it and fill out this form for access to two FREE exclusive gifts just for Mommypotamus readers – lavender and lemon essential oil from Plant Therapy.
If you haven’t heard of the Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle, it’s a collection of e-books, e-courses and bonuses (mostly physical products like natural skin serums, whole food supplements and pantry staples) from some of my favorite authors and companies. It’s valued at $3.708.80 but right now you can get it for as little as $29.97. Oh, and there’s a pressure cooking class!
Just a couple of the bonuses – which are valued at $190.84 – more than cover the cost of the entire package. For example, the YELO Scrub + Mask alone is worth $21, so if you pair that with just one other bonus – the $30 Grove Collaborative cleaning trio for example – you’ve already more than covered the cost of everything else.
Don’t forget that when you order through my link, all you need to do is fill out this form and intructions for getting your exclusive gift will be delivered to your inbox next Tuesday, September 27th.
Okay, back to the post!
Note: This recipe has been updated to eliminate the need for flipping halfway through.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Whole Roast Chicken
Yield 1 chicken
- One small chicken – about 4 pounds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Additional seasonings if desired (the chicken pictured was seasoned with lemon pepper)
- Turn on the sauté setting and add in the coconut oil. When the oil heats up, place the chicken in breast-down and brown. I move mine around a few times to brown the sides as well.
- When the chicken is nice and brown, turn it over and place it on the trivet/rack that comes with your pot. Add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the pot and sprinkle the chicken with seasoning.
- Lock the lid into place and set the valve to “sealing.” Select “Poultry” and then increase the type of pressure from normal to high. (If you have the 7-in-1, you can do that by pressing the “Adjust” button.) If your chicken is four pounds you'll want to set the time for 24 minutes. If it's smaller or larger, calculate how much time it should cook by multiplying the number of pounds by 6 minutes. So, a 3 pound chicken would be 18 minutes and a five pound chicken would be 30.
- Allow the Instant Pot to depressurize naturally and then serve.
Courses Main Course
Need help making REAL food work in REAL life?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of my ebook – The Busy Mama’s Guide To Getting Dinner On The Table – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. You’ll get my top seven tips for simplifying meal prep, plus updates when I post new healthy recipes, exclusive gifts, coupons (I was able to give away a jar of free coconut oil to anyone who wanted it recently!), and other goodies. Don’t miss out!