When In Doubt, Bake
Of all the words to live by, this phrase is one of my favorites. Baking is a lovely way to unwind even if you only have half and hour, and you have something delicious to eat at the end of your “therapy” session.
These buttery pecan cookies are perfect for a quiet tea with littles, a rowdy BBQ, or even skydiving. Okay not that last one, but you could eat one in celebration once you hit the ground.
Honestly though, they’re so easy you don’t need a reason.
About The Ingredients
In her book, Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon Morell explains how soaking nuts/seeds in a saltwater solution reduces the naturally occurring enzyme inhibitors and phytates in nuts and seeds. This is called making “crispy nuts,”and the pecans in this recipe have been prepared according to this method.
However, this technique is not needed for the almond flour because the outer bran – where the phytates are concentrated – has already been removed.
Butter Pecan Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup crispy pecans plus 12 whole pecans for top of cookie
- 1 cup almond flour (where to buy almond flour)
- 3 tablespoons pastured butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (where to buy maple syrup)
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt - (where to buy sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (where to buy vanilla extract, how to make your own vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix all ingredients (except 12 whole pecans) in food processor
- Scoop out cookie dough in 1 tablespoon increments and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Press whole pecans into the cookies
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!