Lemons are my sunshine in winter. I don’t know what it is, but I just love them this time of year. And that’s a good thing, because they’re loaded with immune boosting vitamin C. They’re also great for digestion and their fragrance is known to improve mood.
This preserved version has the added benefit of probiotic goodness. So why not give them a spot on your menu? Although they are traditionally used in Moroccan dishes, this culinary delight is also wonderful in a refreshing lemon pudding, a zesty tabbouleh or a fabulous preserved lemon and mint alllioli. You’ll love all the uses you’ll find for the rind, which becomes edible during the preservation process.
Preserved Lemon Recipe
- 6 thin skinned organic (or at least not irradiated) lemons. Meyer lemons seem to be preferred because they are sweeter, but I've only tried the plain jane variety.
- 1-1½ cups additional freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbs whey (optional)
- ½ cup unrefined sea salt
- Scrub lemons and cut them into quarters
- Pour salt in a shallow bowl and begin rolling your lemon quarters. Place salted quarters in a 1-quart mason jar.
- Leaving one inch of room at the top of the jar pour in the lemon juice.
- Cover the jar and shake to release any trapped air bubbles, then loosen the lid so that air can escape.
- Leave at room temperature for 1 day, then check to make sure the lemons are completely submerged in juice. Add juice if needed, then cover again loosely.
- Store at room temperature for six more days. Shake the jar at lease once per day.
- Your preserved lemons are ready!! Use right away or store in the fridge for later.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!