This creamy, luxurious bisque is full of vital nutrients like selenium, vitamin B12 and phosphorous. I’m telling you now, but I promise the first time your spoon touches your lips you’ll be thinking “Phospor what??? Who cares, I’m going to need a bigger bowl!!”
Note: This is a copycat recipe of the Crawfish Bisque from Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen. I worked there when I was in college . . . and yes, I befriended the cook. 🙂
- 3 pounds shrimp
- 4 Tbs pastured butter
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt (where to buy salt)
- 6 cups water (or 3 cups water and 3 cups chicken stock)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 Tbs bpa-free tomato paste
- 5 cups cream - raw if possible. If not available, pasteurized is better than ultra-pasteurized.
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup brandy
To boil shrimp:
- Rinse shrimp in water
- Bring a pot of water to boil then reduce to medium high heat
- Add shrimp and allow to return to a gentle simmer
- Remove shrimp as they rise to the surface
- Chill shrimp immediately to keep them from cooking further
- Once they have cooled, remove peel, tail and vein. Set aside peel and vein for stock.
- Reserve several whole shrimp to garnish top of bisque. Chop the rest into bite-sized pieces
To make the bisque:
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add shells, paprika & half the cayenne. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add water & bring to boil. Reduce heat & simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain liquid into a bowl while pressing on the shells to extract all the liquid.
- Return liquid to pot. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomato paste, salt, cream & tomato. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Add brandy and shrimp. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and remaining 1/8 tsp cayenne if desired. Enjoy!
- Come back and tell me how much you liked it! 🙂
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!