Friends Don’t Let Friends Eat Imported Shrimp
. . . says the sign behind the counter. A man with warm eyes and weathered hands doles two scoops into a bag. “Don’t worry about the ice, those shrimp won’t last five minutes in my kitchen,” I say, and it’s done.
Back home I know the faces of those who sell me meat, milk and produce, so there is a certain charm in buying these sweet morsels directly from the man that caught them. Still, I’m not above raiding the Whole Foods freezer back home and wherever you are, I hope you won’t be either.
Shrimp Are Powerhouses of Nutrition
They’re rich in selenium (a trace mineral with cancer prevention properties), mood boosting tryptophan, Vitamins D & B12 plus iron and phosphorous. And, they’re oh-so-very-yummy!!! Daddypotamus LOVED this spicy, tangy dish so much he actually stopped mid-dinner to take a pic and tweet about it. Success!
Note: I used to be afraid to eat seafood due to the mercury/contamination factor, but I’ve since learned that most seafood is rich in selenium, which binds with mercury and prevents absorption. My rule of thumb is to select seafood listed as low in mercury by the Seafood Watch Program and then eat as much as possible 🙂
Spicy Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together coconut oil, lime juice, minced garlic and cilantro
- Peel and devein shrimp (for a video tutorial on this click here)
- Place shrimp in the mixing bowl with the other ingredients and marinate for 1-2 hours
- Place a little marinade in a nonstick skillet (I use cast iron) and heat to medium high. When the pan is hot add the shrimp with a little more marinade, reduce heat to low medium and stir frequently. The shrimp are ready when they have turned pink (about 3-5 minutes)
- Season generously with cayenne and add a pinch of salt
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!