Note From Mommypotamus: Today’s recipe for one of my favorite Southern comfort foods comes from Kelly of The Nourishing Home. It’s part of a collection of over 100 irresistible grain-free, dairy-free recipes from her new cookbook – Everyday Grain-Free Baking!
From breads, biscuits and muffins to savory snacks and decadent treats, you’ll find step-by-step instructions, beautiful color photographs and helpful tips & tidbits to make all of your gluten-free baking adventures a delicious success! Click here for a sneak peek at Kelly’s beautiful new cookbook.
Growing up in the South, there was no shortage . . .
Of home-baked sugar-laden treats in our home. In fact, some of my most cherished childhood memories center round cooking, baking and enjoying Southern-style meals with family and friends.
So when I began my grain-free journey as a means of finding relief and healing from several chronic autoimmune conditions, I became passionate about finding delicious and healthy ways to transform those familiar favorite dishes from my childhood into delightful grain-free and refined-sugar-free creations that everyone can enjoy – whether or not they’re living gluten-free or grain-free.
This simple, yet decadent, strawberry shortcake recipe is one of my family’s favorite examples of how easy it is to transform a classic favorite into a healthy treat everyone loves. In fact, you have my promise that no one will even know it’s grain-free, unless of course, you tell them!
Plus, this recipe takes just minutes to make – simply top these beautiful biscuits with heaping spoonfuls of juicy strawberries and a dollop of homemade whipped coconut cream for a wholesome sweet treat that’s certain to bring a smile to everyone’s face.
Yet, if fresh or frozen strawberries aren’t available in your neck of the woods, there’s no need to fret. This is one delightful recipe that you can truly enjoy year-round. That’s because these tasty biscuits are perfect topped with virtually any fruit of your choice.
In the winter, when kiwi fruit is in peak season, there’s nothing as wonderful as topping these delightful biscuits with fresh sliced kiwi and bananas. And when summer arrives, we love to pile on fresh sliced peaches, or mounds of summer berries, such as raspberries and blackberries.
So whichever seasonal fruit tickles your fancy, I hope these special Southern-style shortcake biscuits become a cherished favorite in your home too!
Recipe reprinted with permission from Everyday Grain-Free Baking
Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free)
Yield 6 Shortcakes
- Shortcake Biscuits
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure honey
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (how to make vanilla extract)
- Strawberry Topping
- 1 pound fresh ripe strawberries (or thawed frozen berries)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Optional: Whipped Coconut Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- For the Biscuits: In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter or coconut oil and honey until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, whisking together until well combined. Using a spoon, stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until thoroughly combined. Place dough in fridge to cool about 10 minutes.
- For the Strawberry Topping: Slice the strawberries and toss with honey. If using, prepare the whipped coconut cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once biscuit dough is chilled, scoop a large spoonful of batter into your hands and roll into a ball about the size of an apricot; repeat until you have made six. Place the dough balls on the parchment-lined baking sheet and gently flatten using the palm of your hand.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Split the warm biscuits in half and top with a couple of heaping spoonfuls of strawberry topping and a dollop of whipped coconut cream, if desired. A delightful treat for breakfast or dessert!
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!
After struggling with several autoimmune-related health issues, Kelly turned to an unprocessed, gluten-free, grain-free diet for relief from chronic pain and digestive issues. As a result, she discovered improved health and wellness, and is now on a mission to transform everyday familiar favorites into nourishing grain-free meals the whole family will love, whether they’re living grain-free or not.