I’m not sure how I managed to grow up in the South without discovering waldorf chicken salad. I guess it’s because even before I went “healthy” I wasn’t a big fan of over-processed mayo. It tasted fake to me.
Now that I’ve discovered REAL mayo, though, Southern foods are taking their rightful place in my kitchen. This has been the summer of potato salad, slaw and of course this waldorf chicken salad. If you try this recipe don’t forget to come back and let me know what you think!
Waldorf Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 2 lbs baked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise (We LOVE our homemade recipe)
- 1 cup walnuts, pecans, or almonds (preferably soaked and dehydrated to remove phytates. For instructions on how to do this check out the recipe at Healthy Snacks That Toddlers Love Part 2. Follow the soaking instructions but do not sprinkle salt on them before placing them in the dehydrator. Or you can just buy them.)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 cups seedless grapes (halved)
- 1 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- unrefined sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, and poppy seeds.
- In a large bowl, add diced chicken, nuts, grapes, celery and red onion.
- Add mixture to large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Salt and pepper to taste.