A couple of months ago I asked for your healthiest budget-friendly recipes. You responded with all kinds of yummy ideas . . . only I didn’t know until last week.
You see, my contact form, Dave, did something pretty irresponsible. For three months he didn’t come around. No messages . . . not even spam. I didn’t think anything of it (other than being grateful for a little less spam) and then WHOMP! He dropped a truckload of messages on my doorstep and ran back to his cave.
My new contact form, Steve, is pretty reliable, so please feel free to drop me a line.
Opening all those emails at once was both fun and overwhelming. Questions, birth stories, recipes. Oh the recipes. This easy almond pancake recipe was sent in by herbalist and nutritionist Katja Swift. More than just a sweet treat, a short stack of these will load you up with protein, vitamin A, folate, magnesium, vitamin E and more. I liked them enough to make them THREE times in two days. Thanks Katja!
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1 cup almond meal. I didn’t have any so I put a handful of sprouted almonds in a coffee grinder. Voila!*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt (where to buy salt)
- Mix ingredients until there are no clumps
- Heat ghee or coconut oil over medium heat in a nonstick cast iron skillet
- Pour batter into the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes on the first side, then flip.
Serve with ghee and sea salt, and just a bit of grade B maple syrup. Grade B has all the minerals. Grade A is for tourists :-). It’s also illegal for GAPS families, but honey would be nice, too!
If you eat dairy, you can leave out the vanilla and serve them like blinzes, with sour cream and salmon roe, or meat and mushrooms. Instead of sour cream, Katja uses homemade avocado oil mayonnaise or homemade bacon-grease mayonnaise. There are tons of possibilities, so go for it if you feel like getting creative!
* We have a coffee grinder for coffee, and one that we use to grind spices, herbs, nuts, etc. It’s not really a good idea to use your actual coffee grinder unless you want everything to taste like a mocha.STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers.