This freshly churned delight is rich in wholesome fats, lauric acid (a nutrient found in mother’s milk that is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal), collagen replenishing copper plus manganese, phosphorous, iron, magnesium, selenium and more.
So go ahead, mama: indulge. Let your mind wander back to hot summer days by the pool, or lazy afternoons in the hammock with a soft breeze, sun-dappled light and a good book. Relish each spoonful . . . and by all means feed it to your kids! Phosphorous and magnesium are vital in helping growing bodies absorb and use calcium. And as a bonus your kids just might start introducing you to random strangers with the phrase “This is my mommy. She makes ICE CREAM!” So yeah, there’s that
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk (1 batch of the homemade version with shredded coconut)
- 3 pastured egg yolks (save the whites for macaroons)
- 1-3 tablespoons honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Method 1 (Extra creamy version)
- In a medium pot whisk egg yolks, honey, and salt together. Add coconut milk and whisk again until well combined.
- Place pot on stove over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes. Be sure not to let the mixture boil. Remove pot from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer contents of pot to a bowl and chill until cold. Process mixture in an ice cream maker (like this one) according to manufacturer’s instructions then transfer to a container with a lid and freeze until firm (1-2 hours).
Method 2 (Soft serve version – ready in a jiff!)
- In a large bowl whisk yolks, honey, vanilla and salt together. Add coconut milk and whisk again until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Bon Appetit, Ya’ll!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
» Recipes » Coconut Milk Vanilla Ice Cream (GAPS-Friendly)