A protein-packed, mineral rich meal in 15 minutes flat? Yes, please! The usual recipes call for thickeners like cornstarch or arrowroot that aren’t GAPS-friendly and soy sauce is a no-no, so I hadn’t even attempted it. By happy accident [read NO FOOD in the house], I recently rediscovered egg drop soup. Yay!
Egg Drop Soup
- 1 diced onion
- 1-2 stalks celery (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee or coconut oil (some paleo/primal folks will probably want to skip the dairy)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (for you non-GAPSters)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ -1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (optional)
- Add butter/ghee/coconut oil to a medium-sized pot and warm over low/med heat. Add onions and celery and saute until soft.
- Add the chicken broth, optional soy sauce, salt, pepper and sesame oil. Bring to a boil.
- Stir gently while you slowly pour in the egg.
- Season with chives before serving.