When Life Gives You Lemons . . .
Put those little bursts of sunshine to work! Here’s a little tip to squeeze every last drop of goodness out of your batch: Before you whip up classic lemonade, use a lemon zester to remove the precious rind from the outside. Today I’m going to show you how to make lemon extract with it.
Store-bought lemon extract costs an average of $1.98 per ounce. Here’s the breakdown for this recipe:
- Spirits – I used vodka for this batch. My cost was $0.49/ounce
- Organic lemon peels – Free because I was already using the lemons. (If you don’t use 6 lemons all at once, you can squeeze the juice to use as needed)
Total store bought cost – About $23.76 for 12 ounces
Total homemade cost – About $5.88 for 12 ounces
A Note On Ingredients
The main spirit used to make lemon extract – vodka – is now often made from GMO-plants and/or enzymes derived from genetically modified organisms. (source)
How To Make Lemon Extract
- Rind of 6 large organic lemons
- 1 cup vodka
- Wash and dry lemons.
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut thin slivers of the yellow skin in long ribbons. (Or if you have a zester, use that!) Make sure not to peel off the bitter white pith, just the outside will do.
- Place peels in a jar and cover with vodka. Shake well.
- Place in a dark cabinet for 4-6 weeks. Shake every few days for the first week, then occasionally after that.
- When the extract has reached the intensity you prefer, strain peels and pour extract into a clean jar. Store in a dark cabinet or the fridge.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
» Recipes » How To Make Lemon Extract