This cocoa-free blonde fudge is rich in wholesome fats, lauric acid (a nutrient found in mother’s milk that is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal), collagen replenishing copper plus manganese, phosphorous, iron, magnesium selenium and more.
Oh, and the “saturated fat in coconut is made up of short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids the body quickly turns into energy instead of storing as fat. Therefore, even though it’s high in saturated fat, coconut can aid in weight loss.“¹ The sucanat probably wont, though.
If you’re into cooking with kids (which I am) this recipe is perfect. Pour everything into a pot and let them stir while you “supervise” (aka check Facebook).
Just one more thing: Leite de Coco is melt in your mouth fudgy goodness. You gotta try it!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1 cup milk, raw or not ultra-pasteurized
- 3 cups full fat coconut milk (where to buy coconut milk)
- 1 cup sucanat or raw sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened f inely grated coconut flakes – use a coffee grinder if necessary (where to buy coconut flakes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons sliced pistachios or almonds
- oil for baking dish
1. Heat milk, coconut milk, sugar, coconut and vanilla to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
3. Cook, uncovered, until mixture becomes very thick and starts to leave the side of the pan, about 50 minutes to 1 hour. Stir often.
4. Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled 8-inch square baking dish/tray.
5. Sprinkle with nuts.
6. Cover and chill for 8 hours.
7. Cut into 1 inch diamonds or squares. Keep refrigerated until you’re ready to serve.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.