Silky Soft Skin…
Is possible, even without weird foaming agents, antifreeze and hormone disruptors in your shaving cream. (source) This alternative nourishes and protects sensitive skin while helping you get a good, close shave. Say goodbye to dry, itchy skin and razor burn!
Tips For A Good Shave
1. Use a good quality razor that it easy to clean
2. Shave toward the end of your shower/bath so that the pores of your skin have plenty of time to warm up.
3. Rinse the blades as needed while shaving. I keep a little cup of water in the shower to swish the razor in or wipe it on a wet washcloth.
Note: This homemade shaving cream does not lather and should be applied as a thin layer. The texture is a cross between shaving oil and shaving soap.
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipe
To use, apply a thin layer to skin and shave. Makes about 4-6 ounces whipped.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup shea butter (where to buy shea butter)
- 2 tablespoons olive, jojoba or sweet almond oil (where to buy olive oil, where to buy jojoba oil, where to buy sweet almond oil)
- 2 tablespoons liquid castile soap* (where to buy castile soap)
* HUGE thanks to Sarah Crawford for suggesting this addition to the original formula!
Step 1: In a small saucepan, melt shea butter and coconut oil over the lowest heat setting on the stove. Stir occasionally until fully melted.
Step 2: Add olive oil and stir until fully blended. Remove from heat.
Step 3: Transfer mixture to a medium-sized bowl or any size jar and place in the fridge until it’s solid.
Step 4: Remove from fridge and get ready to whip it up. If it’s in a jar you’ll need to transfer it to a medium-sized bowl first. Whip using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Scrape sides down as needed. Whip until fluffy ~ about 3-4 minutes depending on how cold your mixture is – then add castile soap and whip until fully combined.
Step 5: Spoon shaving cream into an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place.
The ingredients in this recipe are shelf stable for quite a long time on their own without a preservative. However, if water gets into the jar they will spoil much more quickly. I pat my hands dry with a towel hanging right outside the shower before scooping the shaving cream out.
This formula can make the tub/shower floor slippery. It usually doesn’t if you’re just using what you need to shave with – about a quarter-sized amount for each leg – but it can. Take extra care and/or consider using a non-slip surface like a bath mat.
Looking For More Recipes?
My ebook, DIY Organic Beauty Recipes, is a 198 page guide that will show you how ridiculously easy it is to make your own beauty products, like:
- Quick yet luxurious gifts for friends and baby showers
- Fabulous shampoos and conditioners
- Tooth whitener
- Body sprays
- Deodorants and more.
» DIY Beauty » Homemade Shaving Cream