Silky Soft Skin
Is possible, even without weird foaming agents, antifreeze and hormone disruptors in your shaving cream. (source) This natural alternative nourishes and protects sensitive skin while helping you get a good, close shave. Say goodbye to dry, itchy skin and razor burn!
Tips For A Good Shave
1. Use a good quality razor that it easy to clean
2. Shave toward the end of your shower/bath so that the pores of your skin have plenty of time to warm up.
3. Rinse the blades as needed while shaving. I keep a little cup of water in the shower to swish the razor in or wipe it on a wet washcloth.
Note: This shaving cream does not lather and should be applied as a thin layer. The texture is a cross between shaving oil and shaving soap.
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipe
To use, apply a thin layer to skin and shave. Makes about 4-6 ounces whipped.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup shea butter (where to buy shea butter)
- 2 tablespoons olive, jojoba or sweet almond oil (where to buy olive oil, where to buy jojoba oil, where to buy sweet almond oil)
- 2 tablespoons liquid castile soap* (where to buy castile soap)
* HUGE thanks to Sarah Crawford for suggesting this addition to the original formula!
Step 1: In a small saucepan, melt shea butter and coconut oil over the lowest heat setting on the stove. Stir occasionally until fully melted.
Step 2: Add olive oil and stir until fully blended. Remove from heat.
Step 3: Transfer mixture to a medium-sized bowl or any size jar and place in the fridge until it’s solid.
Step 4: Remove from fridge and get ready to whip it up. If it’s in a jar you’ll need to transfer it to a medium-sized bowl first. Whip using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Scrape sides down as needed. Add castile soap and whip until fluffy ~ about 3-4 minutes depending on how cold your mixture is.
Step 5: Spoon shaving cream into an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place.
The ingredients in this recipe are shelf stable for quite a long time on their own without a preservative. However, if water gets into the jar they will spoil much more quickly. I pat my hands dry with a towel hanging right outside the shower before scooping the shaving cream out.
This formula can make the tub/shower floor slippery. It usually doesn’t if you’re just using what you need to shave with – about a quarter-sized amount for each leg – but it can. Take extra care and/or consider using a non-slip surface like a bath mat.
Looking For More Recipes?
My ebook, DIY Organic Beauty Recipes, is a 198 page guide that will show you how ridiculously easy it is to make your own beauty products, like:
- Quick yet luxurious gifts for friends and baby showers
- Fabulous shampoos and conditioners
- Tooth whitener
- Body sprays
- Deodorants and more.
Sources:STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers.
» Beauty Recipes » DIY Natural Shaving Cream