Note from Mommypotamus: Today’s guest post comes from Dr. Meghan, who is a chiropractor and also the founder of Just Enjoy Food. Thank you, Dr. Meghan!
When I say pecan pie . . .
Doesn’t your brain instantly go to the fall and Thanksgiving dinner? For our family, Thanksgiving was the only time that we had pecan pie. It was tradition. But I missed pecan desserts throughout the rest of the year. These bars bring the amazing flavors and the taste of pecan pie into easy-to-make, decadent bars.
This pecan bar recipe is free of grains, made with only almond and coconut flour. There is also an ample amount of butter, almost two sticks, so it is full of healthy fat. The butter also creates a caramel flavor when mixed with the raw honey used to sweeten the bars. Maybe they should have been named caramel pecan pie bars, because to me, that’s exactly what they taste like!
When baking the bars, there’s one tip I’ve learned from making them that I wanted to share with you. Make sure you bake them long enough to fully bake the middle of the bars. The middle cooks slowly and I took them out too early once and the two middle pieces weren’t done enough (Although they were still good enough to eat). Enjoy!
Pecan Bar Recipe (Grain-Free)
For the crust:
For the pecan filling:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) organic butter, melted
- 1/3 cup raw honey (where to buy raw honey)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or coconut milk)
- 4 free range organic eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pink salt (where to buy unrefined salt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (where to buy raw honey)
- 1 1/2 cup organic pecans (where to buy organic pecans)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper For the Crust
- In a small saucepan melt the butter
- In a small bowl add the almond flour, coconut flour and pink salt and pour the melted butter into the bowl. Mix gently until combined with a hand mixer
- Add the raw honey and vanilla extract and mix again until the dough is completely mixed together
- Press the dough in the bottom of the baking pan and bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown
For the Pecan Filling
- While the crust is baking prepare the pecan filling. Using the same small saucepan melt the stick of butter
- In a medium bowl beat the raw honey, heavy cream and 4 eggs with a hand mixer for 30 seconds until the eggs are completely beaten
- Slowly add a small amount of the melted butter to the egg mixture while still mixing to temper the eggs. This is important because you don’t want to cook the eggs by adding in all of the melted butter. Add the remaining butter along with the salt and vanilla extract and mix again until everything is mixed together
- Gently stir in the pecans by hand
- Pour the pecan filling into the baked crust (the crust can be hot or cooled) for another 25-28 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean
- Let the bars cool before cutting and serving
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator
About Dr. Meghan
Dr. Meghan is a chiropractor and the founder and creator of Just Enjoy Food, a resource and recipe blog created to support a healthier lifestyle. She believes every individual has the opportunity to live their healthiest life possible, which can be achieved through natural approaches. She overcame her own health challenges and throughout the process has gained valuable education in how our bodies work and heal.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Mommypotamus' ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Heather Dessinger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
» Recipes » Pecan Bar Recipe (Grain-Free)