Note from Mommypotamus: Today’s post comes from Katie of Girl Meets Nourishment, whom I’ve invited to be a regular contributor this spring. I can’t wait to try it with our favorite paleo tortillas. Thank you, Katie!
That you can make some stellar pulled pork right in your very own kitchen with little to no effort? My recipe for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork With Pineapple is easily made in slow-cooker and has won many taste-buds over. What you get is a juicy sweet-and-savory dish that is the main attraction of any meal!
I made mine carnitas-style, with my favorite avocado-mango chutney and sour cream cabbage but it is just as delicious topped with homemade BBQ sauce. This dish is so versatile, you can make it sandwich style or even place it on top of a salad, baked potato, or pizza. My recipe also has a sweet hint of pineapple, which adds a whole new level of flavor.
There isn’t too much to say about pulled pork, besides that it is good eatin’! Let’s jump right into the recipe…
Pineapple Pulled Pork
- 1 and 1/2 pounds pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup fresh-made organic pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup filter water
- 1 small organic onion, roughly diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon organic mustard
- 1/2 cup homemade ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (where to buy cumin)
- 2 teaspoons paprika (where to buy paprika)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (where to buy apple cider vinegar)
- 1 cup organic pineapple, diced into bite-sized chunks
Slow cooker (find them here)
1. In a slow-cooker, placed diced onions on the bottom and then place the pork shoulder on top. Pour in the pineapple juice and water.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the diced garlic, mustard, ketchup, cumin, paprika, and vinegar. Once combined, slather on top of the pork shoulder. Place slow-cooker on high, cook for 5 hours (or on low, 7 hours).
3. With one hour remaining on cook time, pull out the pork shoulder and shred with two forks on a cutting board. Add back into the crock-pot with the diced pineapple chunks and mix together in the juices.
4. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Hello, my name is Katie and I am on a real food and unprocessed living journey. I share my journey on my blog, Girl Meets Nourishment.
I am getting back to the basics preparing food the old-fashioned way and discovering new ideas for a healthy life. This veteran vegetarian of nine years now proudly eat lots of butter, takes cod liver oil, drinks kombucha, and all that is nourishing. This journey has opened me up to a new world filled with the wisdom of generations before me. I want to try these out-of-the-ordinary old-fashioned recipes and make them into my modern nourishment – making real food from real things in real time and making our home as unprocessed as possible. Come visit me and Girl Meets Nourishment on my Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram, and Google+!