Note from Mommypotamus: I’m always on the lookout for healthy snack ideas, which is why I’m so excited about this guest recipe from Kristen of Rethink Simple. They look scrumptious, don’t they? Thanks Kristen!
This summer I’ve been overwhelmed with tomatoes of all shapes and sizes. Many have been preserved as sauces for winter use, but I also try to incorporate them fresh whenever possible. Salad is a no brainer, but over the past few years I’ve always found myself with an abundance of sweet cherry tomatoes and not enough ways to use them. Until we made these.
As I’m sure you all know, a standard BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato) is a sandwich made up of 5 main ingredients: bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and bread. Drop the bread, swap the mayo for cream cheese, add a few finishing ingredients, stuff them inside of a cherry tomato and voila! You’ve got these BLT-style stuffed cherry tomatoes that are sure to be a hit!
Cheesy BLT Bites
- 20 cherry tomatoes (the bigger the better)
- 8 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (fullfat)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spinach
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- dash of sea salt
- Sit tomatoes on your cutting board. Cherry tomatoes will sit flat when placed top down (where they were attached to the stem faces your countertop). Once they are all sitting flat, slice a sliver off the top.
- Scoop out the pulp and seeds and set aside. You can discard or use for making salsa, pasta sauce, etc. I used my 1⁄4 tsp measuring cup to easily scoop out the pulp. A regular spoon was much too big for the job.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix. Spoon the filling into each tomato (again I used my 1⁄4 tsp measuring cup). To crumble the bacon I placed the cooked strips in unbleached parchment paper and crumpled it with my hand. Keep refrigerated, serve and enjoy!
Need help making REAL food work in REAL life?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of my ebook – The Busy Mama’s Guide To Getting Dinner On The Table – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. You’ll get my top seven tips for simplifying meal prep, plus updates when I post new healthy recipes, exclusive gifts, coupons (I was able to give away a jar of free coconut oil to anyone who wanted it recently!), and other goodies. Don’t miss out!