When I Was Growing Up . . .
A family friend, Paul, nonchalantly mentioned that leaving a film of Ivory soap under ones arms would result in a fever by morning.
For YEARS my sister and I tried in vain to get it to work. We hoped and prayed and (most of all) scrubbed in hopes of a sick day at home with mom, but all we got for our efforts were very clean armpits. Thank you, Paul, for understanding the magic of home in the heart of a child and using it to get us clean. I’m sure my mom loved you for that.
If You’re Reading, Paul . . .
I’d like you to know home is still just as magical to me. There is more laundry than I remember but it is sweeter, too. When all Katie wants to do is play in the snow . . .
. . and sweet Micah scooches himself up to watch her . . .
I make myself a bowl of old-fashioned bread pudding and rub dirt on my armpits. Because seriously, every day is a day at home with mom now . . . only I am the mom and you’re a liar. So there.
If you’re not Paul, I’d like to share this rustic dessert recipe with you. I hope it fills you with warmth and reminds you of the comforts of home.
For this recipe you will need: Casserole dish (I double the recipe and use this one), saucepan, spoon, stovetop/oven
- 2 cups raw whole milk, coconut milk or half & half, not ultrapasteurized
- 1/4 cup pastured butter
- 2/3 cup sucanat (where to buy sucanat)
- 3 pastured eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (where to buy cinnamon)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (where to buy nutmeg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (where to buy vanilla extract, how to make vanilla extract)
- 3 cups sourdough bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then add milk/coconut milk/half & half.
- In a separate bowl combine sucanat, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Whisk until well mixed, then slowly add milk mixture.
- Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with raisins, then pour batter on top of bread.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set in center. Serve warm.
Bread Pudding Sauce (Optional)
- 1 cup half & half or cream
- 1/8 cup sucanat
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of salt
- Place ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding.