How about “I Mopped The Bathroom Floor With My Kids Bath Towels” day? I sure do, and my little ones love celebrating unconventional holidays as well. Today is “I Finished My Math Book A Month Early” day, which of course means sliced apples dipped in this easy salted caramel sauce recipe. I’m going to make a double batch so that I have extra to stir into my coffee this week, plus some to drizzle on the secret fudgy brownies in my freezer.
Worried that you won’t know what to do with a full batch of caramel sauce? Well, it’s delicious stirred into yogurt with a little fruit, poured over slow-cooker “baked” apples, or frozen in cute silicone ice cube trays (like these or these) to make individual candies. Or just eaten straight of the spoon . . . ask me how I know.
For a more decadent experience, you can drizzle it over coffee ice cream, the fudgy brownies I mentioned above, grain-free cheesecake, or as a (messy but delicious!) glaze for these grain-free chocolate coconut donuts.
Quick Salted Caramel Sauce
Yield 1 cup
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup raw honey, sucanat, or coconut sugar – when made with sucanat or coconut sugar, the recipe will be a deeper caramel color than with honey (where to buy honey, where to buy sucanat, where to buy sustainably produced coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup butter
- generous pinch of unrefined sea salt (where to buy salt)
- Place cream, honey (or sucanat/coconut sugar) and butter in a small pot. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat, whisking occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow to boil gently for 7-12 minutes. Coconut sugar is more prone to burning so I keep the cooking time around seven minutes and check it often. Honey, on the other hand, takes the longest to develop a caramel flavor – about 12 minutes, sometimes longer.
- Stir in the salt and then place in the fridge to cool. Warm to room temperature before serving.
Courses Condiments & Sauces
Need help making REAL food work in REAL life?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of my ebook – The Busy Mama’s Guide To Getting Dinner On The Table – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. You’ll get my top seven tips for simplifying meal prep, plus updates when I post new healthy recipes, exclusive gifts, coupons (I was able to give away a jar of free coconut oil to anyone who wanted it recently!), and other goodies. Don’t miss out!