Unless they’re folded into a dessert like this paleo carrot cake, I prefer carrots to be savory instead of dotted with raisins and creamy, sweet sauces.
Infused with tangy lemon juice, garlic and a bit of cilantro, this carrot salad recipe has a light, fresh flavor that my kids love. It’s makes a super quick side dish on busy weeknights and stores well in the fridge. I often double the recipe while I’ve got my grater and supplies already out, then serve it for lunch again the next day to simplify things.
Savory Carrot Salad
- Grate carrots with a cheese grater.
- Place the grated carrots into serving bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss until well mixed.
Want more veggie side dish ideas?
Here are a few I love:
1. Coleslaw – If you’re not a fan of soggy, super-sweet slaw that is drowning in sauce, check out this crisp, fresh version. It’s sweet (but not too sweet), creamy and light with a little bit of tang. My kids love it!
2. Kale Chips – Sometime between the moment I first yelled “WHERE IS THE BABY??” while holding my firstborn and the time my third-child said “I’m not your wuggage” as I carried him to bed, I basically forgot all about kale chips. Until recently, that is, and now I can’t get enough.
3. Creamed Spinach – When it comes to helping kids fall in love with veggies, butter and cheese go a long way.