Once, at a cooking demonstration . . .
I all but inhaled a calzone with my eyes. Seriously, y’all, it was full of the melty goodness we call cheese. Except, it wasn’t. It looked like a calzone. The chef was calling it calzone. But it was made with weird sprouty things.
Back then I was pretty put off by the idea of adapting old favorites to meet new dietary needs, but since then – both by necessity and the desire to get my kids to eat more veggies – I’ve changed my tune. Pizza crust made with cauliflower? Totally doable, but my eyes and taste buds need to be in sync. And so it is with that in mind that I humbly offer you my tried-and-true fauxtato recipe.
Although my family has reintroduced potatoes to our diet, we still love this version. In fact, when I made it last week my preschooler finished his portion and then proceeded to scoop every last bit out of the serving bowl for himself.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- 2 large heads cauliflower roughly chopped
- 14-20 large cloves of garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam garlic and cauliflower for 10 minutes (you may have to do this in two batches depending on the size of your steamer)
- Remove cauliflower from steamer and place in a colander to drain for 15 minutes
- Toss cauliflower/garlic, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth. Warm up in the oven before serving.
Want More Cauliflower Recipes?
Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe – This simplified cauliflower pizza crust doesn’t require any pre-cooking, steaming, squeezing, or double back-handsprings. It takes only a few minutes of hands-on time and holds together beautifully!
2. Cauliflower Fried “Rice” – One of my very favorite things this recipe is that it’s so versatile. Don’t have any onion or carrots? No problem, just use whatever veggies you have on hand – zucchini, squash, mushrooms, leeks, etc.
3. Creamy, Dairy-Free Shrimp Chowder – You don’t need to be dairy-free to enjoy this “creamy without the cream” shrimp chowder, and it’s a great way to get extra veggies into your family’s diet.