Have you ever tried to turn your backyard shed into Snow White’s cottage, dressed yourself in your mother’s billowy graduation gown and gone out to gather “medicine,” not having the slightest clue what you were looking for?
Yeah, me neither. Okay fine, GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY. I was seven, so no laughing mmkay?
Fast forward to today and those once mysterious herbs are like old friends. I know exactly which ones to reach for in any given situation, and it feels every bit as good as I thought it would. Actually, better.
Take, for example, this chai tea latte. Delicious both hot and served over ice, this recipe is infused with warming spices, black tea and adaptogenic herbs which “increase the body’s resistance to physical, biological, emotional, and environmental stressors.” (Adaptogens: Herbs For Strength, Stamina & Stress Relief, p. 1)
In other words, it’s perfect for people who, um, breathe.
This blend can be infused with either eleuthero root (which was once the subject of classified Soviet research) or astragalus root, which has been revered for so long it was mentioned in the oldest known herbal text we have record of.
They both have a mild flavor, which makes them a perfect choice for this tea, and are believed to support stamina, energy levels, immune function, memory and cognitive function.
Begin with this first recipe to create a chai tea mix.
How To Make Adaptogenic Chai Tea Mix
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon hulled cardamom seeds where to buy them
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon dried ginger root find it here
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon dried cinnamon chips or a cinnamon stick that has been crushed into smaller pieces find cinnamon chips here and cinnamon sticks here
- 5 teaspoons black peppercorns like these
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fennel seeds find them here
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons dried eleuthero root or astragalus root or a mixture of the two (find eleuthero here and astragalus here)
- Mix ingredients together and place them in a clean jar with a lid.
Once you have the bulk chai tea mix stored in a sealed container, follow the instructions below for each cup of chai tea you’d like to make.
Adaptogenic Chai Tea Recipe
- 1.5 cups water
- ¼ to ½ cup milk or coconut milk either homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoon chai tea mix recipe above
- 1 ½ teaspoons loose black tea leaves or 1 bag black tea optional
- Sweetener to taste
- Add water and 2 tablespoons chai tea mix to a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and allow to decoct for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add black tea, then allow to steep for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in hot milk/coconut milk and sweeten to taste.