Don’t be afraid to get creative with the toppings – sour cream, avocado, cilantro, green onions, fermented jalapenos and cheese are some of my family’s favorites.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
For this recipe you will need: Medium sized soup or stock pot,
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken stock (how to make chicken stock)
- 18 oz whole peeled tomatoes (this is the brand I buy, you can often find it at your local health food store)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (this brand comes in glass jars)
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (or more if you like spicier foods)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (where to buy organic chili powder)
- 2-3 teaspoons unrefined sea salt - add two then check to see if more is needed (where to buy unrefined sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (where to buy organic whole black peppercorns)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (where to buy organic cumin)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (where to buy organic paprika)
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- 3 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup tightly packed cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or cojito cheese
- tortilla chips, grain-free tortilla chips, or plantain chips
- Optional Garnishes
- sour cream
- additional cilantro
- chopped red onion
- chopped green onion
- pico de gallo
- In a wide-bottomed pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and sautee until tender.
- Add garlic, jalapenos, and poblano pepper. Sautee for another minute, then pour in the whole tomatoes. Chop them in to quarters using a spatula.
- Stir in broth and tomato paste.
- Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and paprika.
- Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in lime juice, cilantro and shredded chicken.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with sliced avocado. Serve with cheddar cheese and tortilla chips/grain-free tortilla chips/plaintain chips and lime wedges.