Don’t be afraid to get creative with the toppings – sour cream, avocado, cilantro, green onions, fermented jalapenos and cheese are some of my family’s favorites. And if you need an easy side dish to go with it, this Easy Spanish Rice or this Mexican-Style Chopped Salad will do just fine.
Not sure about what kind of tortilla chips to use?
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
For this recipe you will need: Medium sized soup or stock pot,
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken stock (how to make chicken stock)
- 18 oz whole peeled tomatoes (this is the brand I buy, you can often find it at your local health food store)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (this brand comes in glass jars)
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (or more if you like spicier foods)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (where to buy organic chili powder)
- 2-3 teaspoons unrefined sea salt - add two then check to see if more is needed (where to buy unrefined sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (where to buy organic whole black peppercorns)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (where to buy organic cumin)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (where to buy organic paprika)
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- 3 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup tightly packed cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or cojito cheese
- tortilla chips, grain-free tortilla chips, or plantain chips
- Optional Garnishes
- sour cream
- additional cilantro
- chopped red onion
- chopped green onion
- pico de gallo
- In a wide-bottomed pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and sautee until tender.
- Add garlic, jalapenos, and poblano pepper. Sautee for another minute, then pour in the whole tomatoes. Chop them in to quarters using a spatula.
- Stir in broth and tomato paste.
- Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and paprika.
- Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in lime juice, cilantro and shredded chicken.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with sliced avocado. Serve with cheddar cheese and tortilla chips/grain-free tortilla chips/plaintain chips and lime wedges.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!